Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my cam install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:35 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about my cam install.

I'm installing a TR224-112 this weekend, just waiting for the JPR lifter tools and spring compressor (More) to get here.
I purchased the kit from Thunder with ti retainers and what I'm hoping to be everything I need. (918's,gaskets, pushrods,etc)
My question is, this is my 1st cam install, can anyone recommend anything else, or let me know if I'm forgetting anything? I'm hoping for this to be as painless as possible. I'm also alittle shaky on the spring changing procedures as well.
My car only has 25k miles, so I'm not changing the timing chain just yet, nor the oil pump. Is this very risky? I'm probobly gonna go with a bigger cam and some heads in about 6 months or so anyway, and I was planning on doing that then. Does this sound ok? Thanks for any responses!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.ls1howto.com F-Body cam swap.. has a list of everything you'll need.

As for your other questions, I just did a h/c swap. The car had 32k at the time and I kept the stock timing chain and stock oil pump. If they hadn't taken a dump on me yet, then they should be good for a while. Also after seeing how easy they were to get to, it won't be that hard to change them later.

But if you have the money and just want the piece of mind. You could just change them now while you have everything apart.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Cool, thanks for the info. How do you like that clutch? That's the next on my list very soon when I decide what to get.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I can shift faster than you.

The stock timing chain and oil pump are just fine. As mentioned above, ls1howto.com is a good resource for the cam install. Good luck! You will definitely enjoy your new cam.

Jason
Old 04-21-2004, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1BirdDRG
Cool, thanks for the info. How do you like that clutch? That's the next on my list very soon when I decide what to get.
After the break-in, it drives like stock. However, it grabs nothing like the stock clutch. It grabs like a ****... no slippage...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:16 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Sounds good, thanks again. My tools just came UPS so I'll be ready to start on the cam Thurs. night. I'll post the results this weekend.
Thanks for the feedback!