Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid leak

I have an 04 GTO. I've been having clutch disengagement issues. Sometimes it's very easy and smooth to get into gear, and other times it grinds very slightly as I enter each gear. 1st is sometimes very difficult to engage. If they do grind, 2nd is always the worst. I've never noticed any trouble in 6th or reverse. I have to refill my clutch fluid reservoir every week. I've checked the bell housing, and there is no fluid which leads me to believe it isn't the slave, but I looked every around the master and inside and cannot find the leak... I have no idea if it is a stock or aftermarket clutch, but I'd say it's stock just from the feel. Pulls great in every gear, no slipping, and high RPM shifting isn't difficult. Any ideas what I should check before I drop $800 on a new clutch and tick master?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not slipping and you aren't having a problem shifting at high rpms I don't see why you would buy a new clutch. If your having to refill your clutch fluid resavior every week that fluid is going somewhere. Most likely it's sucking a bunch of air into the hydraulic system and giving you your shifting problems.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't seeing where the fluid is going, my guess would be that it's the slave. You can always go over the master with a fine tooth comb first since it will be easier to get to...I'd probably have someone in the car pumping the clutch pedal with the reservoir cap off and a good eye on the master and the line leading out of it to the slave cylinder. If you don't see any obvious leaks but the reservoir level is dropping, you'll have to pull the trans.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
If it's not slipping and you aren't having a problem shifting at high rpms I don't see why you would buy a new clutch. If your having to refill your clutch fluid resavior every week that fluid is going somewhere. Most likely it's sucking a bunch of air into the hydraulic system and giving you your shifting problems.
Sorry, that's just my cynical side coming out. Yeah, that's what I've figured. Pumping the clutch helps 1st gear engagement.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you aren't seeing where the fluid is going, my guess would be that it's the slave. You can always go over the master with a fine tooth comb first since it will be easier to get to...I'd probably have someone in the car pumping the clutch pedal with the reservoir cap off and a good eye on the master and the line leading out of it to the slave cylinder. If you don't see any obvious leaks but the reservoir level is dropping, you'll have to pull the trans.
Thanks. I'll crawl under it this weekend and give it a good once-over. I would be happier if I just knew where the hell all this fluid is going...

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid leak