Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Past and present 102 plate users (200+) How's your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Past and present 102 plate users (200+) How's your experience?

I ran a 90mm dry plate up until November of last year when I cracked a piston ring land on #7. I tuned the n2o on the dyno (fairly conservative, but consistent) using WB on drivers side bank and COS5 to cut timing and add fuel. I never tuned using plugs, which I will now do. My first thought was that the plate allowed the #7 to run hit/lean on spray (car spends most of its life NA and the na tune is SOLID.). Which made me "feel" like I needed either a direct port or spray bar type setup (ala money maker).

However, a lot of people I have been talking to suggest I should be fine to run a plate (250 is max I will ever run, n2o is just for fun, this is an NA car). Whatever I do, I want it to be safe, but if I can avoid a $1k direct port for a car that is primarily NA, that would be swell!

So I want to hear from plate users (particular 102 plates) on their experience. How long you've used the setup, how consistent it is/was both overall and across cylinders, any problems, etc... Any advice and or input would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Juicedh22
I ran a 90mm dry plate up until November of last year when I cracked a piston ring land on #7. I tuned the n2o on the dyno (fairly conservative, but consistent) using WB on drivers side bank and COS5 to cut timing and add fuel. I never tuned using plugs, which I will now do. My first thought was that the plate allowed the #7 to run hit/lean on spray (car spends most of its life NA and the na tune is SOLID.). Which made me "feel" like I needed either a direct port or spray bar type setup (ala money maker).

However, a lot of people I have been talking to suggest I should be fine to run a plate (250 is max I will ever run, n2o is just for fun, this is an NA car). Whatever I do, I want it to be safe, but if I can avoid a $1k direct port for a car that is primarily NA, that would be swell!

So I want to hear from plate users (particular 102 plates) on their experience. How long you've used the setup, how consistent it is/was both overall and across cylinders, any problems, etc... Any advice and or input would be appreciated.
I responded to your other thread.. I know many people that spray 200 through a plate and have been fine. We all know they are on borrowed time but with good tuning and direct port they will have more time.. You cannot fight Inertia!
Built motor you sink money in=Direct Port
Stock motor you wanna replace one day anyway=Plate
I would definately use a stand alone dedicated for the spray if your gonna hit it with 200 plus...
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I don't have to tell you this now after having the problem you did with the #7 ringland, but this is why you always read your plugs on nitrous.

You could of put a colder plug in that hole and most likely of been A OK.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Yea, thanks Martin. I learned the lesson the hard way!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you think #7 broke? I'd run a 200 shot on a plate but use the plugs to tune it not a dyno or wideband.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have personally tuned more cars on our EFI plate than I can count. On average I do not start seeing a real noticeable cylinder to cylinder difference until I start getting over the 250 hp mark.

We took the same car with a 92mm and plugs looked real close to each other up to the 300 hp mark. Took the same car and swapped to a fast 102 and started seeing a cylinder to cylinder difference at the 250 hp mark.

Reading spark plugs is the best way to make tuning decisions.

Dave
Old 03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Dave! Since i ended up getting a Katech Manual tensioner anyway, it started swaying my decision back to your 102mm plate kit for my goals 200, 250 max. which also looks like a big dollar and time saver for me.

Do you make a hard-line kit that works with FAST rails (ls3 length injectors) for the 102? If so, any pictures?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Dave! Since i ended up getting a Katech Manual tensioner anyway, it started swaying my decision back to your 102mm plate kit for my goals 200, 250 max. which also looks like a big dollar and time saver for me.

Do you make a hard-line kit that works with FAST rails (ls3 length injectors) for the 102? If so, any pictures?
You will love our plate system. Yes sir we do offer a hard line kit for you. We lost a lot of pics in the website change over. We are re taking the pics at this time.
Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave on a 200-300 dry shot through your plate system what plugs would you recommend?

Quick Reply: Past and present 102 plate users (200+) How's your experience?