Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing torque convertor questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing torque convertor questions.

on my 2000 trans am I just got done bolting the new transmission in and am having trouble with the torque convertor. when trying to line up the bolt holes on the convertor and flex plate I was able to spin the convertor a bit, but it is pushed against the flexplate tight enough that it wouldnt go over the raised edges around the bolt holes on the flexplate. is this a sign that the convertor isn't completely seated in the transmission? or should I back the transmission off a 16th of an inch and rotate the convertor so it'll bolt up?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely sounds like its not seated fully. Keep turning/jiggling the converter while trying to get it to fully seat onto the transmission.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

+1.
I am concerned that you may have already damaged the pump.
Here is a thread on installing the converter; see my post #5 for some details:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

And another useful post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ter-bolts.html

And the unfortunate post of someone who broke their pump (see #27):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-please-2.html

Good luck and finger crossed. I suspect that since you can turn the converter at all, that the pump is not yet broken.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

okay, I've already unbolted the bellhousing again to check. I don't think I've broken the pump. The convertor wasn't really tight against the flex plate. I could spin it a lil bit.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a gap between them.. If you don't have it seats all the way, I doubt you will be able to do that without unbolting the trans.

How much was the converter set back from the edge of the bell housing? How many "steps" did it click going on?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

I think it was set back maybe 1/2" from the edge of the bellhousing. I know it was on both sets of splines, and i thought it went on the the pump too but apparently I was wrong.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

And just in case, is there a way to check to see if the pump is still okay? I don't want to kill a freshly rebuilt transmission if I broke the pump.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
There should be a gap between them.. If you don't have it seats all the way, I doubt you will be able to do that without unbolting the trans.

How much was the converter set back from the edge of the bell housing? How many "steps" did it click going on?
Sometimes you don't hear all the clicks. I'm re-installing my trans this weekend and I only heard two clicks and I barely heard the 2nd click but my converter pad to bellhousing gap was right at 1 1/16....

I believe it has been said that the gap should be 1 1/8-1 1/16 right?

If it is flush I would say it is not fully seated OP as Lemons and others have said. Make sure you have that gap...
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Yes, right around 1-1/8" which looks like this:

However, I'm not an expert and have never seen a busted pump, but if you only had 1/2" inch then the pump was not engaged and I now think a very high chance it was damaged.

As the OP mentioned in post #27 above, you could see that the "two fingers" of the pump (rotor) were busted. A small screwdriver will also fit in there and you can try turning the pump, it turns pretty easily. Worst case, take it to a trans shop for checking.

What do the more experienced people suggest ???

Last edited by mrvedit; 03-10-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Corrected to say "will also fit in there"
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

Keep up the good work.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

You guys are getting me seriously worried.. Is it possible to just replace the pump if i busted it? I just spent over $500 getting this transmission built. If it's broken I don't know what I'll do, but I will sure be tempted to torch the car lol.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did the same thing when installing my built 4l65 and revmax converter.

as long as you didnt try starting the car you should be fine.

seat that converter all the way in. it tok me almost an HR just to make it seat all the way.
like said above, you should have a little more than 1inch from the converter to bell housing.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 AM

IF you busted the pump rotor, and that is still a big IF, it is just a $15 part and might take 2 hours to replace. Here is the part:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00035764c.htm

See the two internal "fingers" - that is what engages the slots in the converter. With a flashlight you can see them through the front of the trans.

a4ls2goat said his pump was fine. People who start the car not only ruin the rotor but often the entire pump and might even spread metal throughout the trans.

Hopefully you can get other opinions here, as I don't have the experience to even guess at the probability of pump rotor damage.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

I see. I never started the car or even bolted the convertor to the flexplate.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will be fine.

Did you get to seat the converter all the way?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
You will be fine.

Did you get to seat the converter all the way?
no, I cut my hand real bad while working on it so I've quit. probably will try to get it finished next weekend when there's less chance of opening the wound again haha.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Yes, right around 1-1/8" which looks like this:

However, I'm not an expert and have never seen a busted pump, but if you only had 1/2" inch then the pump was not engaged and I now think a very high chance it was damaged.

As the OP mentioned in post #27 above, you could see that the "two fingers" of the pump (rotor) were busted. A small screwdriver will also hit in there and you can try turning the pump, it turns pretty easily. Worst case, take it to a trans shop for checking.

What do the more experienced people suggest ???
Hey Ted amd OP.

If the converter wasn't bound up at all, and turned until it hit and wouldn't go over the flexplate pads, I bet you are fine. Of course you will have to back the trans off the block to get to to seat on the pump tangs while rotating it. Just do that, spin it a bit while pushing lightly on the converter and you will feel it hit the tangs and slide all the way on. It will move another 1/2" at least.

The pump gear isn't so fragile that it will break from what you describe.

Once you correctly seat a converter in a transmission, it will be obvious what it feels like, and how far in it goes and you will never make the mistake again.

Quick Reply: installing torque convertor questions.