Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cant install strut tower brace after installing front shocked...

Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cant install strut tower brace after installing front shocked...

I had to order new spring cups (right name for the part?) due to some corrosion and general wear when rebuilding my struts... long story short, the two bolts that the strut tower brace bolt to (they are permanently attached to the new spring cups) are to short to be able to bolt the brace to.

Got the spring cups from Autozone, they look really robust and pretty good quality, but these bolts are just to short! does anyone know if I can drive these bolts out of the spring cup and just replace them with longer grade 8 bolts or am I just screwed out of having a strut tower brace now?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

i ran into the same problem..............went back to stock GM mounts..........they have longer studs
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Monroe mounts. True, the studs aren't quite as long as the GM parts, but I was still able to install my STB.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

two smacks with a light hammer and the pressed in studs came out, picked up some grade 8 studs from ace and all is well!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
I had to order new spring cups (right name for the part?) due to some corrosion and general wear when rebuilding my struts... long story short, the two bolts that the strut tower brace bolt to (they are permanently attached to the new spring cups) are to short to be able to bolt the brace to.

Got the spring cups from Autozone, they look really robust and pretty good quality, but these bolts are just to short! does anyone know if I can drive these bolts out of the spring cup and just replace them with longer grade 8 bolts or am I just screwed out of having a strut tower brace now?
Do you remember what brand you bought from Autozone? I'm putting together my suspension upgrade list, and I do have a strut tower brace. If price is good, I'll just buy new bolts like you did
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear this wasnt and unsolveable issue. Was looking to change out my front suspension too since its 180xxx past new and all the rubber component look like they're looming on failure
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJDio
Do you remember what brand you bought from Autozone? I'm putting together my suspension upgrade list, and I do have a strut tower brace. If price is good, I'll just buy new bolts like you did
Just buy the Monroes, and you shouldn't have to worry about it (unless, of course, they've changed their parts in the last 2 years, as I bought mine in 2011)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The mounts were 30 per side and include both pieces.. The bolts were just grade 8 stainless stuff from ace (they have a huge stock of nuts/bolts). After replacing outer tie rods, rebuilding and stiffening the qa-1's, replacing the shock mounts and installing the Hotchkiss sway bar it rides great, very solid with no creeks or rattles like before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cant install strut tower brace after installing front shocked...