Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

want to lower car, help and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to lower car, help and advice needed

Wanting to lower my car a little bit, not much just about 1.25" just to get rid of some wheel gap to give the car a better look, it's a dd and that's about all its used for other than the occasional pass at the strip, found a set of bmr lowering springs that would be perfect, is there anything else I need as well or would I be safe just doing the springs? Everthing suspension wise on the car is factory
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

there are about a million threads on this already, but no nothing else is physically required to cause the car to sit lower other than the springs

you will REALLY want shocks with them though, bilstein at a minimum, koni would be ideal. no there is nothing cheaper. you will probably want an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear end, but it is not absolutely required unless you run wide wheels that would rub if it's a hair off center. you can install lower control arm relocation brackets if you want to correct the lower control arm angle. you will want an alignment, and since the car is 13 years old your upper mounts probably aren't in the best shape depending on mileage.

I would say do some searching to find out what you want for what you have in mind
Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out BMR spring and shock sale.I know some shocks are not good with a lowered car.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured there were a lot of threads about this I just didn't want to have to dig through hundreds of threads to find a exact match for the questions I have, I was actually looking at a level 2 bilstein shock and strut package at the same time as the springs, I think it was $445 for the set, I've never dealt with suspension before so I'm a complete newbie on this topic. Its sounding like I'd just be better off saving up for all the things you mentioned and doing it all at once, this is my only car and having a rough *** ride every day just wouldn't cut it lol
Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

yeah doing it right the first time is the way to go! good call hahah, I learned my lesson on that one
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Wanting to lower my car a little bit, not much just about 1.25" just to get rid of some wheel gap to give the car a better look, it's a dd and that's about all its used for other than the occasional pass at the strip, found a set of bmr lowering springs that would be perfect, is there anything else I need as well or would I be safe just doing the springs? Everthing suspension wise on the car is factory
Check out your post in apperance. I strongly suggest the Strano package, its amazing!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I made the mistake of throwing things together half assed on my 95z28, learned the same lesson lol, but thanks for the advice, I want something that not only looks good but something functional as well, so if I can make it look good and improve the overall smoothness and handling of the ride ill consider it a success
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
there are about a million threads on this already, but no nothing else is physically required to cause the car to sit lower other than the springs

you will REALLY want shocks with them though, bilstein at a minimum, koni would be ideal. no there is nothing cheaper. you will probably want an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear end, but it is not absolutely required unless you run wide wheels that would rub if it's a hair off center. you can install lower control arm relocation brackets if you want to correct the lower control arm angle. you will want an alignment, and since the car is 13 years old your upper mounts probably aren't in the best shape depending on mileage.

I would say do some searching to find out what you want for what you have in mind
I honestly couldn't have said it better or made a better recommendation then this. You are going to be hard-pressed to find a more affordable and better performing lowering spring than our BMR ones. We also stand behind them with a lifetime warranty agianst sag so if you run into any issues just give us a call and your covered.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: want to lower car, help and advice needed