Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power window won't move...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power window won't move...

I know this is an all-too-common problem on these cars, but I'm not sure if my issue is the motor or not. It worked fine when I put it away for the winter, got it out today and the driver's side window won't go up or down. I had dieing window motors on my old Firebird, so I know the symptoms. This time it just stopped working over winter. I can hear a clicking sound from under the dash when I try the switch up or down, which I cannot hear when I try the passenger side window (which works fine). So I'm not sure if there is some sort of relay down there? I noticed the 30A fuse controls both window motors, so I don't think it is that. Is there any way to test the switch, or anything else I should look for before getting a new motor/regulator?

I am going to be replacing the front speakers and fixing the alignment of my windows soon anyways, I just want to know if I should plan on replacing the motor while I'm in there as well. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Checked the voltage at the switch at it was ~10V when pressed up and ~-10V when pressed down. I am assuming this means the switch and everything upstream is working fine. So I guess this means I probably need a new motor? Just weird that I can't even pull the window up or push it down with the switch engaged , it just won't move at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Problem has gotten worse, but I guess this can help me narrow down the problem... Now neither switch works on the driver's side, but the passenger side switch moves the passenger side window up and down just fine. So I bought a new switch and that didn't help. What else should I check?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the wiring harness that comes out of the switch, make sure all the connectors are in good shape, they can get hot and melt.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Power window won't move...