Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pop when jacking the rear as well as when driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Question pop when jacking the rear as well as when driving?

Today I noticed that while I’m jacking the rear, either one side or under the rearend that a loud popping sound occurs. At first I thought it was the rearend hitting the bar that’s directly behind it but theres a small amount of space, only a 1-3cm? The only reason I jacked the rear was because the rear passenger rim lost its wheel weight at the dragstrip a few days ago and the car was shaking and vibrating all the way home as well as, depending on throttle, something was banging and hitting in the rear.

I jacked the rear before in the past and never had something hit or clearance issue until like stated losing the rear passenger wheel weight with the new rearend. This is with a Moser 12 bolt. Any ideas on what it could be? I looked underneath and nothing looked broken or loose. The sway bar looked fine, springs were in one piece. I did notice the top center area of the pumpkin has some scuff marks but I dunno if it was from the bar hitting it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

no thoughts/ideas?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a noise occasionally when jacking the rear and letting it down. It's the spring coming out of the pocket but it goes right back in place after i set it down. Check to make sure (if using a isolator) that it is still correctly on top of spring. I'm using the hose mod so that's probably why mine moves around, but i don't have any noise while driving.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm i'll have to check that out. it all started after i lost the rear passenger wheel weight and since then when driving something is hitting against each other. even when i jacked the rear up theres a cracking sound. whats even more interesting is when i lower the car back down the chassis doesnt go all the way down. if i apply a bit of weight on, say the rear bumper, it'll make a popping sound and settle back down to normal.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE
found the torque arm needs placed. the 2top hole slots that go into the 12 bolt moser rearend arent in. the one stud thats towards the front is missing but the rear one is still in the pumpkin however the rear hole of the torque arm sheared off (pic below). so because of that the pumpkin is leaning back and the driver side spring is hitting the bar (dont know the correct name) when driving around bumps.

so im going to upgrade but wasnt certain if there are various types of torque arms based on the type of reared-stock vs moser 12 bolt vs ford 9" or all the upgraded torque arms have the same hole slots/position? if the latter, then im going to see if i can get an adjustable, maybe UMI.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucky you caught it before it blew off wouldnt have been a fun ride!

Quick Reply: pop when jacking the rear as well as when driving?