Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild - Tell Me What Needs Replaced Trans Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Rebuild - Tell Me What Needs Replaced Trans Gurus

Alright guys I took apart my T56 out of my 2002 SS saturday night. It had about 80k on it.

My symptoms:
-Popped out of reverse (fork pads were gone)
-Difficult to shift into ALL gears (5th/6th weren't very bad)

What I plan on ordering:
-Standard rebuild kit (synchronizer rings, front and rear seals, nylon shift fork pads, synchronizer keys, retaining springs, shifter bushing)
-1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, & 5th/6th synchros
-New Reverse Gear (ouch!)
-Reverse Shift Fork

Could you guys take a look at the other gears and tell me if they look ok? Keep in mind I'm rebuilding this so I can sell the car. NOT to keep around. I'm not in the business of screwing people over so I want it to be a quality rebuild but this thing doesn't need to be track ready either.

The pics:

5th Gear - Driven Gear

Reverse Fork

6th Gear

5th Gear

5th/6th Synchro

Reverse is screwed. The rest of the gears look ok. The other synchros are screwed and need to be replaced. The reason I posted the 5th/6th Synchro was to find out if I can clean it up with a file or if its gone? Inner synchros, retainers, etc all look perfect and the drive teeth on all the gears look like they had never been used.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to ask. Do you guys think I need to replace the bearings? They all looks like they're in perfect shape (no pitting, dark spots, etc) but I think the main reason for the reverse failure was low fluid. Can you give me some ideas on what to look for?

Also if somebody has a write-up on how to file the gear/synchro teeth it would much appreciated! I couldn't find one from a forum search.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Launching!

If the bearings have any pitting, screwed up cages, spun races, feel notchy when spun then yes youll want to replace them. Also check out the races if there is any nicks or burrs you can feel with your fingernail where the bearings ride they will need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild - Tell Me What Needs Replaced Trans Gurus