Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuild question

do you always need to get a new tc in a rebuild if there was no large chunks in it can you rinse it out there is nothing wrong with it
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If the trans was rebuilt due to just being worn out, with no broken internal parts, then I've been told that just flushing the converter and cooler is enough.
However, if the trans was rebuilt because of broken metal parts, then the converter should be sent out for an "open and clean" and the cooler must be replaced; also flush the lines.
Because a cooler has many parallel paths through it, flushing it may not get all the metal shavings out; by Murphy's law they won't come out until the new trans is installed and then damage that too.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok good point no easy or cheap way in this problem
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM

I assume then that you are rebuilding the trans yourself and that it had a hard part failure? Let me know if we can help with any question or problems.
Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I atemped to do the whole rebuild myself but tore it down and noticed more and more the reverse drum warped the 3-4 clutchs worn almost all off and a pressure plate had huge guwdge around the surface, so I took it to the shop up the street for preffesional to look at it and also epc solenoid he said and I should replace the tc also cause all the shavings and gunk got in it and could caus ethe rebuild to go bad . Also I had pcmforless tune my car a while back and remember him saying that he increased my shift points and line pressure Im starting to think that is what caused the problems increased pressure to make it shift harder , what do you think?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the TC rebuilt because at minimum it will have worn clutch material and sludge stuck in it.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Increasing line pressure, within reason, generally will increase the life of the clutches. The clutches wear out from slippage; increased line pressure reduces slippage. The accumulators protect the clutches from slamming and permit a linear engagement. A properly designed shift kit, like the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack will also increase the life of the trans.

The 3-4 clutch simply wears out, especially the stock 6-friction setup.
Rebuild the 3-4 clutch with 7 or 8 frictions:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-problem.html

I defer to Joecar's advice on the converter.

Quick Reply: rebuild question