Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEN4 to GEN3 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEN4 to GEN3 help

Well I have a Gen 4 LY5 5.3 (price was to good to pass up and with 3k miles on it) that I want to controll with a Gen 3 truck harness and PCM drive by cable type. I know I must change the 58x to a 24x with the appropriate sensor (black sensor instead of gray?) As well as change the cam gear and sensor to a 1x 3bolt ls2 cam gear and 3 bolt cam? Does anyone know if my Gen 3 PCM will accept the Gen 4 knock sensors if I lengthen the harness to reach? Am I just better off selling the LY5 and securing a Gen 3 5.3 or 6.0 so it is plug and play? Or maybe getting a Gen 4 harness and adapting to my vehicle. Gauges is my only concern..
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

58x to 24x is not achieved by changing the Sensor, you have to change the Crank. You are on point with the Cam Sensor.

To get that Engine to work with Gen III you will have to get the 58x->24x Conversion Box and plug it in, then install the proper Cam Gear & Sensor. From what I've read the Knock Sensors will work. I've even seen people drill & tap the side of the Block for the M10x1.5 and just install the normal Gen III Knock Sensors.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, if you want to go with DBC and the 24x controller, get a Lingenfelter box and call it a day. You can use the LS1 knock sensors in the engine block by either drilling and tapping or choosing another location for the LS1 knock sensors.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have read that before i posted. I meant reluctor wheel change and with the appropriate sensor for the new 24x wheel. I would rather swap the ring, a local shop specializing in LS can do it for 50 bucks. I have seen the lingenfelter box. Read somewhere rumors of it overheating PCMs? Anyone having this issue that is running the box? So.. reluctor wheel/sensor to 24x, cam gear and sensor to 1x 3bolt, and adding the gen 3 knock sensors as mentioned would get it done? Also I believe my current cam in the LY5 5.3 has a single bolt cam so I will also need a 3 bolt cam to match new timing gear right?
Thanks for the quick responses
Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

To match the Cam Gear, yes a proper Cam. The Knock Sensor mod works..how some of the LSX Block guys are doing it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The original Lingenfelter boxes had some overheating issues, but I am not aware of any problems with the current generation. We sell quite a bit of them and have had no complaints.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: GEN4 to GEN3 help