General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

o2 Sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 Sensor questions

1. Where are the front o2's compared to the rear?

2. Are there any downsides to having the o2's deleted?

3. Is it true that you must have the front o2's in order for engine to run right?

4. What is best way, if o2's are not deleted, to "waterproof" them along with the wiring?

I am having misfire issues in rain and I think it is involving my coils/injectors, but I may have to rule out the o2's before I start looking into that.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

1. They are in front of the cats as opposed to behind the cats.

2. Your check engine light will be on unless you tune the rear O2's out.

3. That is correct.

4. They should be "waterproof" from the factory as they are on all vehicles, and those are driven in the rain without issues every day.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z-camaro
1. They are in front of the cats as opposed to behind the cats.

2. Your check engine light will be on unless you tune the rear O2's out.

3. That is correct.

4. They should be "waterproof" from the factory as they are on all vehicles, and those are driven in the rain without issues every day.
So since I have longtubes, the o2's going into my longtubes would be considered the "front" ones i'm assuming, and then I probably don't have rear o2's because a. I haven't seen them and b. it's a borla exhaust after the headers.

But given that my o2's that I DO have are fronts, and I don't know when they were changed last, would it be a good idea to change them and see if that helps my misfire in the rain issue as well as just general maintenance?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
So since I have longtubes, the o2's going into my longtubes would be considered the "front" ones i'm assuming, and then I probably don't have rear o2's because a. I haven't seen them and b. it's a borla exhaust after the headers.
That is likely the case, do you have a catless y-pipe?

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
But given that my o2's that I DO have are fronts, and I don't know when they were changed last, would it be a good idea to change them and see if that helps my misfire in the rain issue as well as just general maintenance?
It would not be a bad idea to replace them if you don't know how old they are. Are they stock, stock length with extensions, or vette length?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

How bout you pull the codes and let us know.

If no codes, try to use a scanner to determine misfire history, if it is a certain cylinder misfiring its probably not your 02 sensors.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ARaver
How bout you pull the codes and let us know.

If no codes, try to use a scanner to determine misfire history, if it is a certain cylinder misfiring its probably not your 02 sensors.
Good call. I will figure out the codes it was throwing. I believe last time I checked it was individual cylinders, namely on the driver side. With what you say in mind about o2 not causing certain cylinders, along with the fact that rain drips from my cowl onto my drive side coils... water at the top must be the issue. Now the question is what do I do from here? Look for bad coils, or look into the injectors or what?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Pull codes and see what cylinder it is. When it is dry, let the engine run and spray the coils, wires, and plugs with water and see if any particular cylinder causes the problem. Pull the plug, check for cracks in the porcelin (very common on AC Delco plugs). If you have access to a coil checker check the coils for activity. The code should tell you what to look for.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

3. Is it true that you must have the front o2's in order for engine to run right?
Technically you can run a certain tune (open loop) that does not take any o2 sensor input and can be made to run right. Obviously that's a custom tune, but if you keep having this issue that might be an option for you.

Although it shouldn't be, plenty of people have LTs and don't have problems driving in the rain. Like others mentioned, replace them with new ones and you should be ok unless you plan on submerging your car in feet of water.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
Technically you can run a certain tune (open loop) that does not take any o2 sensor input and can be made to run right. Obviously that's a custom tune, but if you keep having this issue that might be an option for you.

Although it shouldn't be, plenty of people have LTs and don't have problems driving in the rain. Like others mentioned, replace them with new ones and you should be ok unless you plan on submerging your car in feet of water.
If his CEL is on for O2 reasons, I believe the car should switch and be running in open loop currently (depending on the code). I am pretty sure this is what happens with the "slow switching" codes at least.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Launching!

To my suprise, i changed o2s this weekend and i just drove my car in the rain and my problem seems solved!

Quick Reply: o2 Sensor questions