Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will a satellite antenna with a magnet affect the car's computer if too close?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will a satellite antenna with a magnet affect the car's computer if too close?

I may be upgrading to SiriusXM service so I can have satellite radio through my new Kenwood stereo. I currently use my home Sirius antenna underneath the windshield cowl (which is about a few inches away from the passenger side vent). Just curious if I will be causing any harm putting a magnetic antenna so close to the PCM. Thanks!

I attached a pic of the current location in case I am not clear in my description...
Attached Thumbnails Will a satellite antenna with a magnet affect the car's computer if too close?-antenna1.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it, the magnet on those antennas isn't super strong, hell the only time I've had a magnet mess with car electronics is this alpine amp that I had within a foot of the magnet on an Eclipse Titanium 15" subwoofer, but I moved the amp another foot away and it was fine.

if your that worried tho you can move it inside the windshield, there is a guy on here somewhere that has his underneath the plastic of the upper dash (in one of those metal "trays") and says his works fine.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Magnets can induce currents in wires, so I don't think anyone can say 100% that you are "OK." Did you see how Whitebird00 did this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-location.html
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just did the SiriusXM upgrade to my new Kenwood last week and everything is perfect!

I can't get over how much clearer the new SiriusXM sounds compared to my previous Sirius radio. And with the new SiriusXM antenna in the exact same spot as my old Sirius antenna, I seem to get a much stronger signal too!

Quick Reply: Will a satellite antenna with a magnet affect the car's computer if too close?