Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

To bleed or not to bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To bleed or not to bleed?

Changing out my brake pads this weekend and have never had to bleed brakes before. But have also never changed brakes on a CTS-V before either.

Ran a few searches, but seem to come up with conflicting information.

So...to bleed or not to bleed. Why/Why Not?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u have never bled brakes than I would not recommend it. If u do decide to take the task on ill explain the proper way to u.. Just lmk
Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's very simple, and a one man job if you have the right tools.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Changing brake pads doesnt require bleeding unless you somehow do something wrong. But it never hurts to bleed your brakes.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

My big concern is needing to expand the pistons to fit the newer, thicker pads. I would assume that trying to expand them could potentially hurt the brake lines/system by attempting to compress the fluid. Or maybe I am wrong.

I have seen the instructions on cadillacfaq, but am worried about getting the mushy/soft pedal feel b/c of air trapped in the lines.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
My big concern is needing to expand the pistons to fit the newer, thicker pads. I would assume that trying to expand them could potentially hurt the brake lines/system by attempting to compress the fluid. Or maybe I am wrong.

I have seen the instructions on cadillacfaq, but am worried about getting the mushy/soft pedal feel b/c of air trapped in the lines.
when I changed my pads it was simple and never had a problem with air in the lines. I followed the same procedure you are refering to. I took the cap off of the resevoir to allow the fluid to move with compressing the pistons in. Made sure the fluid would not over flow before I started...that was 20k miles ago and never once have felt a sponge brake pedal.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM
FoD
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriGuy
when I changed my pads it was simple and never had a problem with air in the lines. I followed the same procedure you are refering to. I took the cap off of the resevoir to allow the fluid to move with compressing the pistons in. Made sure the fluid would not over flow before I started...that was 20k miles ago and never once have felt a sponge brake pedal.
Same.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
JDB
Launching!

You don't need to. You'll be fine.

But, if it's never been done, you should. It's to be changed every 2 years regardless of miles. Brake fluid absorbs moisture so it is constantly lowering the quality of fluid and lowering its wet/dry boiling points/temps.

With a Motive bleeder, it's a one man job. Or old school method with a friend to push /hold the pedal while the bleeder is open, close, release pedal, pump pedal again, push /hold pedal, open bleeder, close, repeat until clean.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

While you are not required to bleed when just changing pads (since you are not opening the system) I would recommend it. If your pads needed to be replaced so does the fluid IMO. It is just like every other fluid in the car, if it did not need to be changed it would not get merkey and it would just stay clear. Unless yours is still clear, I would flush it. While at the same time putting in a better fluid like a silicone based dot 5. Easy to do since you are already there. The trick is to not let the master cylinder even get close to dry. If you do that (and since you're not changing brake lines) you should be fine. All of the brake bleeding problems with the V are because air was introduced into the system, which you should not be doing at any point.

This is all assuming that you know how, and are perfectly capable of bleeding brakes.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Brakes installed and done. Thanks again to everyone's help. TriGuy, removing the reservoir cap was an awesome tip. Brakes feel great after putting 30 miles on them.

Quick Reply: To bleed or not to bleed?