Sponsored by:

Starting a minor build, got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting a minor build, got a few questions

Well for starters I have a 2000 Z28 A4
Its a VERY clean car I am the second owner and have owned it for a year now and it has just passed 130,000 miles. Its no longer my DD but i was driving it alot last year. its completely stock except for the SS wheels and SLP muffler with turndown.

Engine:
My plan was to buy a computer programmer, Mass air flow, 90mm throttle body, and Volant cold air intake. I would also like to do an intake manifold like a FAST intake or a BBK. Is it worth it? and will I have to upgrade fuel delivery if I go as far as the intake manifold? and will the stock headers/cats going to work with the extra air flow? I want to keep it simple but do it right.

Tranny:
replace torque converter with a little higher stall(2000-2800) and B&M shift improver kit. Are these upgrades advantagous or am I missing something. its the stock 4L60E

Suspension
Eibach Pro-kit(1.2" drop) springs, lakewood adjustable panhard bar, Energy suspension bushing kit, lakewood rear control arms, and either Bilstein or KYB AGX shocks. am I m issing any other parts?

Like I said I want to keep it simple bolt ons for now, me and my girlfriend go to shows or tear down a back road on the weekends. the help would be greatly appreciated because I wanna take it all apart at one time and do it all in a weekend or two and Im about to buy the parts so I just wanna make sure I have everything
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

depending on your budget, you can get an ls6 manifold for $350 or so from the classifieds. dont bother with a new MAF the stock one is fine, as far as fuel youll be fine on the stock system for a while. you might as well get headers and an off road y pipe depending on your states emissions. Dont bother with a handheld tuner, get a real tune or even a mail order at the least when you're done with everything.

Im running a yank ss3600 stall converter in my car and its great. youll wish you went bigger if you get a stall in the 2000s.

For the suspension (depending on budget) strano springs and koni shocks are the best for our cars. If you dont want to pay the koni price bilstiens will be fine.

My set up is similar to what youre looking for (full exhaust, ls6 intake, high stall converter and some suspension) and it drives great.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the Input, thats exactly what I was looking for!

the LS6 intake would work without any other mods?

basically if I do what your saying I should find the LS6 intake manifold and still put Volant intake and run stock MAF and stock LS6 throttle body? and literally I just got done talking to my buddy at work where he said the same thing on the tune issue. so I prolly will go that way with getting a real tune from the dyno shop here in Rock Hill SC.

Headers Im not sure about because 1. I was told on late model F-bodies it was B#*ch and a half to put long tube headers on without pulling the engine.
and 2. I live in Charlotte NC, where our emissions is a little strict so I have to have cats/ plus I really, really,REALLY wanna keep the check engine light off.

Suspension Im kinda forced to go with Eibach, KYB, Bilstein due to where I work thats what I sell so I get a good discounted price.... but I will look into those parts maybe they are better

thanks for the help ur the first person to shoot me straight so far
Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Teching In

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...FQuxnQodHmgAkg

Is this what you were talking about
Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2K_Silverbullet
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...FQuxnQodHmgAkg

Is this what you were talking about
Yep thats the one he means, however, the reason the ls6 intake is so popular is because you can get it used for cheap. Paying almost 500 for a bare intake, when you can get one for less than 400 doesnt make much sense. Browse the classifieds for a week or so and im sure youll find a good deal. They pop up pretty often here.

For the suspension, id go with bilstein out of the 3 you mentioned. From what ive read, theyre the best ones for street use right behind konis.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Silverbullet
Thanks for the Input, thats exactly what I was looking for!

the LS6 intake would work without any other mods?

basically if I do what your saying I should find the LS6 intake manifold and still put Volant intake and run stock MAF and stock LS6 throttle body? and literally I just got done talking to my buddy at work where he said the same thing on the tune issue. so I prolly will go that way with getting a real tune from the dyno shop here in Rock Hill SC.

Headers Im not sure about because 1. I was told on late model F-bodies it was B#*ch and a half to put long tube headers on without pulling the engine.
and 2. I live in Charlotte NC, where our emissions is a little strict so I have to have cats/ plus I really, really,REALLY wanna keep the check engine light off.

Suspension Im kinda forced to go with Eibach, KYB, Bilstein due to where I work thats what I sell so I get a good discounted price.... but I will look into those parts maybe they are better

thanks for the help ur the first person to shoot me straight so far

No prob man glad I could help. With the ls6 intake you can use your stock Maf and for $65 you can get a ported throttle body off of ebay from Potz. For an intake id run just a regular lid and filter, and if you wanted a little more, you can get an SSRA and throw that on as well

Depending on the brand ofheaders itll be hard or easy depending if you want to change out the motor mounts at the same time (highly recommended). as far as emissions im pretty sure NC is fairly lax, and a good tuner will be able to get rid of he check engine light for you. If I can run long tubes and no cats in CT and pass emissions then youll be fine in NC.

Out of those, id get the bilsteins for shocks. they will feel alot better than the stock shocks
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

i dont know if its different down there but i live in jersey and have a mobile inspection guy come and do mine and as long as there is no check engine light on (which i have had turned off from the tune) it will pass. it costs a little more but to me its worth it they are more lenient then a shop would be

Quick Reply: Starting a minor build, got a few questions