General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trans is slipping or something wired

Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans is slipping or something wired

I have a Build 4L60e, rated at 700hp.

Im a 01 Trans Am N/A Cam Only 388rwhp car with a 3600 Stall

I dont street race or drag race since the new transmission from mad dog transmission

that was may 2012

I was driving to the bank came back and park my car in the garage, change the passager rear tire for cleaning, put the tire back on then 1 hour later start the car and it die, everytime i started, rough idle, surgging on idle and the smell of gas, black smoke from the exhuast, then seen a blinking check engine light came on, thinking it was bad fuel, went to the gas station and pump 10 gallons and the check engine light went off. but the rough idle was still happened, so i was thinking it might be spark plugs so i went replace all of them for about 2 1/2 hours and it was on black and carbon build up.

last time it was change was may 2012

then it starting running very good, so i drove to sonic and when on a red light, i curise right and noitced my car wil not shift into 3rd or OD, but the converter will still locked at 60mph. reving the car above 40mph and it wasnt going anywhere, i dont know why driving around town does this.

I have a 26,000 B&M Trans Cooler. Daily Driving my car the temp set around 180*F, but when im on the stall it climb to 220*F. whats going on.

can anyone help thanks .
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty sure with what you're describing and it not shifting to 3 or 4 your tranny went out. Not to be a dick but you got a mad dog transmission so it's not really a shock. What do you mean when you say your "on the stall"? Driving with it unlocked?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

but why careful driving do that?i guess it time for a 4l80e or TH400 with OD
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudTransAm
but why careful driving do that?i guess it time for a 4l80e or TH400 with OD
Why would you need a 4L80E or TH400 for only 384rwhp? Just get a 4L60E that's actually well built. I'd recommend FLT, based on my personal experience. Although if you're still planning to go through with the turbo build in the future, then you might have better luck with those bigger transmissions.

As for the flashing SES, poor idle, smell of raw fuel and black exhaust, that was due to a serious misfire. Sounds like you cleared up that issue with new plugs for the time being. How many miles were on them? If they were fouled that badly, then something else may still be amiss (or perhaps the wrong plug was being used for your application).
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

im planning in the turbo build and will like a stronger trans, but i have a level 3 trans Fully Rebuild and a 3600 Stall converter that the trans and converter can handle 600 to 700hp. and i drive slow everyday with 388hp and something is going on. The converter doesnt want to locked up. it does to 50mph at around 2000rpm, but if you slow hit the gas to drive up to 60mph or etc, the speed doesnt change, but the rpm flashing high around 4k to 5k and revs without moving in speed

please help, thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

some firends think its a tune with the converter, some thinks it the trans is gone, and some thinks its due to a weak converter
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

im planning in the turbo build and will like a stronger trans, but i have a level 3 trans Fully Rebuild and a 3600 Stall converter that the trans and converter can handle 600 to 700hp. and i drive slow everyday with 388hp and something is going on. The converter doesnt want to locked up. it does to 50mph at around 2000rpm, but if you slow hit the gas to drive up to 60mph or etc, the speed doesnt change, but the rpm flashing high around 4k to 5k and revs without moving in speed

please help, thanks
Not all trans builders are created equal. I don't have any personal experience with your particular trans builder, so I don't know what their reputation is. I do, however, know that just because a builder tells you that their trans is good to "xxx" HP does not mean that you can actually count on that trans. I too have purchased a "fully rebuilt, fully performance upgraded" 4L60E that didn't even last as long as the stock trans. Then I went with FLT (FLP back then) for the 3rd trans and never had another problem again.

As for the lock-up issue, this could have something to do with your misfires. When the PCM sees a certain amount of misfires, it will not lock the TCC (these parameters can be altered via tuning). You may still have a misfire issue causing this.

In the original post you mentioned that 3rd and 4th gear are not working correctly. If this is the case, then I would suspect an issue with the trans.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

the misfire was cause by bad spark plugs, and when i fix them the blinking check engine light went off and havnt came on yet, but the converter / trans is still acting up, i went to check the fuild in the trans, the fuild is red and clean and full. so nothing is burn in the trans, but if its a tune issue how can you fix that? since the last time i was tune was july 2012
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

FLT is Finish Line Transmission Right? are they very good, is it worth getting a 4l80e then a level 5 or etc 4l60e from them with my future goals around 550 to 600rwhp?

sound like a bad question, but any please is good for me now,
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

the misfire was cause by bad spark plugs, and when i fix them the blinking check engine light went off and havnt came on yet
Yes, but there must be a reason why the previous plugs got so black and fouled. They should not be that bad unless there is something wrong with the A/F ratio (tune or hard parts issue), or the wrong plugs are being used for the application, or they are well past their service life - which may or may not be the case depending on how many miles the plugs had and what type of material the electrode was made from. For example, when I removed the stock platinum plugs from my '02 at 100k miles, they were still clean and still fired quite well.

In other words, there might be a deeper issue that needs looking at. But it's impossibile to know without having all the above info/answers.

but the converter / trans is still acting up, i went to check the fuild in the trans, the fuild is red and clean and full. so nothing is burn in the trans, but if its a tune issue how can you fix that? since the last time i was tune was july 2012
If the trans was shifting fine since the last tune in 07/2012, and now suddenly, 8 months later, it's not shifting into 3rd or 4th, then the issue is not with the tune.

FLT is Finish Line Transmission Right? are they very good, is it worth getting a 4l80e then a level 5 or etc 4l60e from them with my future goals around 550 to 600rwhp?

sound like a bad question, but any please is good for me now,
I have nothing but great things to say about Finish Line Trans (FLT)/FLP. I have complete confidence in their ability to build you a trans that will suit your intended power level.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

I test drove it, if I'm driving when the speed is climbing and it's around 40mph if I give it 25% gas it goes very slow with the rpm around 3-4, and 75% of gas the car goes faster, but I can't tell, cause if I'm doing 70mph it's at 2000rpm. But if u speed up a little the rpm flashes up to 5k. I don't understand what's going on
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I test drove it, if I'm driving when the speed is climbing and it's around 40mph if I give it 25% gas it goes very slow with the rpm around 3-4, and 75% of gas the car goes faster, but I can't tell, cause if I'm doing 70mph it's at 2000rpm. But if u speed up a little the rpm flashes up to 5k. I don't understand what's going on
And before if u floor it, it doesn't shift into 3rd, it does but takes 5-7 sec holding at 6500rpm. Trans is only around 175
Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

i founded out it was a P0757 code, which are shift solenoid b stuck on. which i went got new solenoid, and now it works, so problem was fix
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

thank god

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trans is slipping or something wired