Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

foglight switch power wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default foglight switch power wire

I recently got a hu mount that lights up and currently have it wired to the ignition wire of my head unit however i would like to be able to switch it on and off so i wanna wire it to come on with my foglights but dont know which wire to splice it to anyone know?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't wire it to the fog lights if your goal is total control of when it's on, because the fog lights only get power when the parking/headlights are on, I would hide a small toggle switch somewhere, get the power from where your getting it and connect that to the switch that way the car has to be on for it to be powered but you have independent control of whether it's on or off anytime the car is on.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I wouldn't wire it to the fog lights if your goal is total control of when it's on, because the fog lights only get power when the parking/headlights are on, I would hide a small toggle switch somewhere, get the power from where your getting it and connect that to the switch that way the car has to be on for it to be powered but you have independent control of whether it's on or off anytime the car is on.
Im fine with it only being on when my lights/foglights are on..i actually prefer that cuz in the daytime it doesn't light up very bright
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Why not wire it to your gauge lights? They come on with the lights and your faceplate will brighten/dim with all the other bulbs on the dash.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
Why not wire it to your gauge lights? They come on with the lights and your faceplate will brighten/dim with all the other bulbs on the dash.
My original plan would have been to wire it to the illumination/dimmer wire of the head unit but the head unit comes with a built in dimmer so i have no idea what wire i would use..also the wire from the mount is extremely short so wiring it to the dash would probably be a pita. It can easily reach the foglight wires
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Assuming you used a wiring harness adapter when installing the aftermarket head unit (as you should), you can use the orange/white wire in the harness for simple on/off switching with the dash lights or the plain orange wire for dimming capability.

Using the wires in the harness does not affect the internal dimming capabilities of the head unit in any way.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Assuming you used a wiring harness adapter when installing the aftermarket head unit (as you should), you can use the orange/white wire in the harness for simple on/off switching with the dash lights or the plain orange wire for dimming capability.

Using the wires in the harness does not affect the internal dimming capabilities of the head unit in any way.
O ok thanks alot..thats what i will use

Quick Reply: foglight switch power wire