General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

difference between genuine GM and ACDelco OE Service parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between genuine GM and ACDelco OE Service parts ?

i'm looking for a ls2 intake manifold.

AC Delco OE Sevice manifold - 89017648 $215.50 brand new shipped

GM - 12589181 $350+ new or $200+ used

almost nowhere on the internet has a picture of the ACDelco manifold, i found 1 supposed picture of it and it looks like a royal piece of garbage. it also looks very little like the genuine GM manifold as far as finish and construction goes.

can someone fill me in on what the difference is between the ACDelco manifold and the GEnuine GM one ?

has anyone ordered the ACDelco one and has a picture of the actual product ?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just buy used? its just an intake after all. sorry i had no knowldge that AC Delco made intakes!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im interested in this and wonder why such a price difference.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
why not just buy used? its just an intake after all. sorry i had no knowldge that AC Delco made intakes!
1. Money - used manifolds cost more. a clean used manifold costs $100+ more in most cases.

2. Condition - i don't want a manifold that has scratches, rubbed spots or is discolored because of age. even most "new take offs" show signs of wear, whether it be from a tool hitting the manifold or it just being moved around.

most people building cars just want the part and don't care about blemishes. i care, every time i go to work on the car it will bother me. i don't build cars for show or for the sole purpose of posting it all over the internet like some other people. i build it for me and i don't want to look at a blemished part. so, if i can get a brand new part that is perfect and costs less than a used one .. what reason do i have NOT to go that route ?

my issue with the ACDelco unit is just that i don't know if its an exact copy or a cheap reproduction. if it is a cheap reproduction, i will just wait and pay the extra cash when a perfect GM unit pops up.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

from my experience GM OE parts are top notch compared to a lot of other aftermarket options.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't offer an answer about the manifold, but I only use ACDelco parts unless I'm "upgrading" or stuck in a jam with no way to immediately get the ACDelco stuff. I've found Amazon to have the best pricing on ACDelco, fwiw.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a better question, why would you want a LS2 intake? It's the worst performing intake available. Also if you want a used intake to look like new just paint it with hi-temp satin black spray paint.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's gonna be harder to find a used intake that's beat up, than one that is not.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
I've got a better question, why would you want a LS2 intake? It's the worst performing intake available. Also if you want a used intake to look like new just paint it with hi-temp satin black spray paint.
that has never truly been answered by anyone anywhere. i've searched it to death. there are hundreds of threads about the ls2 vs ls6 and ported ls2 vs ported ls6. all of them are conflicting. some companies dyno prove the ported ls2 to be better than the ported ls6, while some others prove the ls6 ported can give a peak of barely more hp. don't link any threads to "results" here because i can find just as many who disagree with those results and can prove otherwise.

stock, yes, most people can agree the ls2 is not a great manifold. however, mine will be ported.

why did i go with the ls2;
- when ported it is pretty much the same as a ported ls6
- the ls6 requires an egr block off, even though i own a machine shop, i'd prefer a manifold with no plugs in it anywhere.
- the ls2 is physically more appealing
- i refuse to pay $750+ for a fast 90/92 manifold to gain 10-20 peak hp or go with a 102 and have an on/off switch for a throttle body.
- my harness is for ev6 injectors. i dont want to run adapters to fit them into an ls6 manifold

i'm not a fan of painted plastic in the engine bay. especially when i want the part to be black and it leaves the factory black.

for me the ls2 was the overall winner.

the car the engine is going in weighs 2200lbs and will be my daily driver. it's not going to be a dyno queen or get towed to the track for a competition. i'm not going to lose sleep over a little hp if it saves me alot of money.

Originally Posted by justin hover
It's gonna be harder to find a used intake that's beat up, than one that is not.
even a single scratch on the upper shell is not going to work for me. so no, it is not easier to find a manifold in the condition i want.

all of this is off topic tho, i'm looking for a trusted answer as to if the ACDelco manifold is the same quality as the GM ones. i actually just purchased a perfect condition GM LS2 intake for cheap, but i'd still like the answer for myself and people who may find this thread down the line. too many threads get de-railed and the real answer to the question is never found.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

610EURO.... I understand your thought process, even if others do not. Most people overlook the fact that not everyone has the same goals, preferences, standards, and order of priorities as themselves. I guess this is human nature, but again I understand because my personal preferences and standards are often at odds with what is popular/common as well.

Anyway, getting back on topic, the only thing you wrote that I have to disagree with is this:

Originally Posted by 610EURO
- the ls6 requires an egr block off, even though i own a machine shop, i'd prefer a manifold with no plugs in it anywhere.
There is no EGR provision in a stock LS6 intake, thus no need for a plug. SLP used to sell them with their own EGR modification added so that people in emissions states could bolt them onto their '98-'00 cars without issues. But an original LS6 intake will not have any EGR hole.

I can't imagine what the difference would be between a "GM" and an "ACDelco" version of the intake. If not for the fact that the price is different, I would assume they are one in the same. It's still entirely possibile that they are made on the same assembly line, even with the difference in price. But I can't tell you 100% for sure either way.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
610EURO.... I understand your thought process, even if others do not. Most people overlook the fact that not everyone has the same goals, preferences, standards, and order of priorities as themselves. I guess this is human nature, but again I understand because my personal preferences and standards are often at odds with what is popular/common as well.

Anyway, getting back on topic, the only thing you wrote that I have to disagree with is this:

There is no EGR provision in a stock LS6 intake, thus no need for a plug. SLP used to sell them with their own EGR modification added so that people in emissions states could bolt them onto their '98-'00 cars without issues. But an original LS6 intake will not have any EGR hole.

I can't imagine what the difference would be between a "GM" and an "ACDelco" version of the intake. If not for the fact that the price is different, I would assume they are one in the same. It's still entirely possibile that they are made on the same assembly line, even with the difference in price. But I can't tell you 100% for sure either way.
my 02', which everyone says has the ls6 manifold stock, had the egr hole in the front. i was just going off of that. i just googled it. i see that the ls6 intakes on there don't have the hole cut out, but they still that awkward cavern on top where the egr normally would be. which would still bother me.

the price is almost the same for the ACDelco unit and GM ones through other retailers. Amazon is the only place that has the really good deal on the ACDelco manifold, but doesnt sell the GM manifold. it's the super low price that is what really throws it off in my eyes, but that low price is only through amazon. the price for the ACDelco manifold is still $350+ from other retailers.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

How about you just buy the manifold from Amazon, post some pictures, and then send it back if it's not comparable? They are super easy to send stuff back to -- you'll just have to pay return shipping (I'm sure it qualifies for "super saver" shipping).
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
How about you just buy the manifold from Amazon, post some pictures, and then send it back if it's not comparable? They are super easy to send stuff back to -- you'll just have to pay return shipping (I'm sure it qualifies for "super saver" shipping).
if i had the money to waste, i would have done it. a guy i used to live with had problems with Amazon all the time, i try to avoid them every chance i can.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Sorry to hear that... I have always had great experiences with them. I buy pretty much everything except groceries weekly from Amazon, to be honest.

It's not like you'd be out any serious money -- if it's the right one you just keep it. If it's wrong, you'll only be out a nominal amount to send it back.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

if i had the money to waste, i would have done it. a guy i used to live with had problems with Amazon all the time, i try to avoid them every chance i can.
I returned a gopro camera a few months back through them....really easy.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Sorry to hear that... I have always had great experiences with them. I buy pretty much everything except groceries weekly from Amazon, to be honest.

It's not like you'd be out any serious money -- if it's the right one you just keep it. If it's wrong, you'll only be out a nominal amount to send it back.

i know a few people who used to work at Amazon and a ton of people who buy from them. i've heard enough bad experiences to not buy from them and knowing how their warehouses treat people, i try to avoid buying from them.

as i said before, i already purchased a genuine GM intake. i'm not buying another one just to post results on the forum and cost myself $20. if $20 is a small amount and you want to waste it, by all means .. you buy it and post the results then send it back. i'm not donating $20 to the forum.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Money - used manifolds cost more. a clean used manifold costs $100+ more in most cases.

2. Condition - i don't want a manifold that has scratches, rubbed spots or is discolored because of age. even most "new take offs" show signs of wear, whether it be from a tool hitting the manifold or it just being moved around.

most people building cars just want the part and don't care about blemishes. i care, every time i go to work on the car it will bother me. i don't build cars for show or for the sole purpose of posting it all over the internet like some other people. i build it for me and i don't want to look at a blemished part. so, if i can get a brand new part that is perfect and costs less than a used one .. what reason do i have NOT to go that route ?

my issue with the ACDelco unit is just that i don't know if its an exact copy or a cheap reproduction. if it is a cheap reproduction, i will just wait and pay the extra cash when a perfect GM unit pops up.
no reason. i agree 100%. new over used anyday. but what i meant is its my first time hearing of acdelco intakes, and hence i would go used over a brand new intake that i have no knowledge about. i dont build for show too. my car is my daily beater. i got the LS6 intake and it was literally burried in dust lol. i cleaned it,painted it and it looks awesome! thats the cheapest mod i done for 100$ lol. good luck and keep us updated if you have any info on that acdelco.

Quick Reply: difference between genuine GM and ACDelco OE Service parts ?