Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper strut mount torx bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper strut mount torx bolt?

I was removing the drivers side shock and stripped one of the torx bolts. I was wondering if i could remove everything else and hack it off from the bottom since i got new upper strut mounts with new bolts?Or if anyone has any other ideas on how to remove it? I havent even tried to remove the other torx bolt yet because im afraid of stripping it. Thanks for reading
Old 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely you will be cutting or grinding the head off from the top side. Do this first before removing the other bolts so it stays stable while you work.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Launching!

So i should grind off the top of the head before i do anything else?will i still be able to get the bolt off without the head?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you grind off the head the bolt shaft will still be in the mount, but it will come off the car. It won't matter since you're replacing the mounts with new.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Did you get it partially removed or loosened at all?

If it is the one by the brake booster, you won't have much room to cut the head off. If you can get the head off the mount will just drop out.. No need to remove the bolt.

You could maybe try dremeling in a deep clean slot and use a flat head screwdriver.... I have seen that work on one which was broken free.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Oh okay that makes sense i havent really looked at the car since last night.How would you recomend i cut it off to not damage the body of the car?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Launching!

I would figure out how to remove the booster... I'm not sure about how to do that without having to bleed brakes afterwards... But you will need the room.

I personally would cut down from the top to have control and not nick the painted body. Cut two side and see if vice grips can break the bolt free maybe.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd try cutting a slot in it first and seeing if you can get it that way. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you could grind the head off without scuffing up the paint on top of the tower around the bolt head.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Did you get it partially removed or loosened at all?

If it is the one by the brake booster, you won't have much room to cut the head off. If you can get the head off the mount will just drop out.. No need to remove the bolt.

You could maybe try dremeling in a deep clean slot and use a flat head screwdriver.... I have seen that work on one which was broken free.
The one that is stripped is the one farthest away from the master cylinder and its still stuck.I havent bothered with the one under the master
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'd try cutting a slot in it first and seeing if you can get it that way. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you could grind the head off without scuffing up the paint on top of the tower around the bolt head.
Oh i dont really care up scuffing the paint its just that i dont want to cut through i am not that experienced with power tools yet
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well if you just grind it down gradually (not cutting into it) you won't cut through the tower. Just grind some, check to see how far you've gotten, grind some more, check again, etc. You may be able to grind it down to almost nothing but not grind all the way through the bolt head, then just knock the center of the bolt out of the little bit remaining with a punch and hammer.

I haven't had to do this as mine came out OK, so I'm just thinking of ways to try going about it.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Well if you just grind it down gradually (not cutting into it) you won't cut through the tower. Just grind some, check to see how far you've gotten, grind some more, check again, etc. You may be able to grind it down to almost nothing but not grind all the way through the bolt head, then just knock the center of the bolt out of the little bit remaining with a punch and hammer.

I haven't had to do this as mine came out OK, so I'm just thinking of ways to try going about it.
Ok thanks for all the ideas guys, ill try to take care of it this weekend .
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This ^ is the scenario I would aim for.

Put a few layers of tape around the bolt head to give some protection to the paint in case of a slip.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Do you all suggest i get an impact t-50 torque socket to remove the other non stripped bolt? I really dont want to have to grind down the other as well.Any brands of t-50 sockets you all would reccomend?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just used a torx socket and my ratchet to remove mine. I don't have any impacts at all. Not sure how you could get an impact in under that darn master cylinder anyway.

Quick Reply: Upper strut mount torx bolt?