Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Notchy shifting while engine off? Trans rebuild time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy shifting while engine off? Trans rebuild time?

Picked up a 2000 ws6 103k miles that has very notchy shifting even while engine is turned off. Call me an idiot if i'm wrong but I really don't think the problem is the typical slave/master/clutch area. I've never heard of a trans still being notchy through the gears and very hard too get into reverse while off. I mean its common sense that while off the slave/clutch/hydraulics are completely taken out of the picture. I'd imagine whatever i'm experiencing is trans related.

It has a good hard pedal, no slop, but engages right off the floor. There's also some clutch drag cause the clutch doesn't seem too be fully disengaging. Sometime I can get it in 1st while idling but usually have too turn it off then put it in 1st and restart. Now while driving it will go too every gear but its still notchy at all rpms. Takes about 1.5-2 sec of pulling too get it too the next gear. Downshifting too any gear takes some pressure and time also. Impossible too get into reverse unless you cut the motor off and even then you have too really put a lot of pressure too get it in reverse. Almost acts like its binded up.

Now I know most of those symtoms scream clutch system but the thing throwing me off is it being so notchy even while not running. Before I tear into do I have any other votes that's pretty weird and probably a good sign of a trans rebuild? Thanks for any input fellas
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent tried bleeding it yet but it doesn't matter how much you pump the pedal it still is very notchy.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as the trans isn't grinding your probably fine. It sounds like the hydraulics and or clutch is shot and won't allow the clutch to release fully this causing the notchy shifting. You need to address this ASAP though because the added il stress it puts on the synchros can cause the trans to take a dump. So save it now before you end up needing a rebuild

Also the tranny will be notchy when turned off if the clutch is not releasing fully. Reason being is that even turned off the synchros still have to line up in order for the fork and slider to slide into gear... If the clutch down not disengage you will be fighting the imobile engine, whereas when the clutch releases you are just turning the internals of the tranny to get them lined up

Quick Reply: Notchy shifting while engine off? Trans rebuild time?