Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car has tons of bite cornering but is very darty

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car has tons of bite cornering but is very darty

ok let me explain what i have going on here. i swapped over a 2001 camaro convertible from a v6 to v8. it has an L33, 4L60E, 3:42 rear, panhard relocation kit, on car adjustable panhard, bmr torque arm, bmr 1" drop lower A-arms, PA racing k member, BMR strut tower brace, eibach 1.5 drop springs in back, stock v6 springs up front, stock v6 rack 2.5 turns side to side.

ok so the car handles great. taking clover leafs around 95 with no tire squeeling, sliding or anything and you can tell the car can handle alot more going into the corners. however when your going straight, the car is very sensitive to the slightest movement. once you feel it i'd relate it to how a crotch rocket feels when it starts getting that high speed shimmey.

i haven't scaled the car yet. i'll try getting that done this weekend. so what are some suggestions? thanks

- Scottie
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottie dont
ok let me explain what i have going on here. i swapped over a 2001 camaro convertible from a v6 to v8. it has an L33, 4L60E, 3:42 rear, panhard relocation kit, on car adjustable panhard, bmr torque arm, bmr 1" drop lower A-arms, PA racing k member, BMR strut tower brace, eibach 1.5 drop springs in back, stock v6 springs up front, stock v6 rack 2.5 turns side to side.

ok so the car handles great. taking clover leafs around 95 with no tire squeeling, sliding or anything and you can tell the car can handle alot more going into the corners. however when your going straight, the car is very sensitive to the slightest movement. once you feel it i'd relate it to how a crotch rocket feels when it starts getting that high speed shimmey.

i haven't scaled the car yet. i'll try getting that done this weekend. so what are some suggestions? thanks

- Scottie
What size wheels and tires are on your car?

My car feels kinda shaky and wobbly at high speeds, anything over 80 and I lose immense amounts of handling.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Zo6 knock offs stock size. nitto 555 245/50/16's . they car has tons of grip once you get into a corner. it's the over sensitivity when your going straight and barely move the steering wheel. light movements on the steering wheel have a big effect the cars balance or sway. you can feel the rear end follow aggressively (not loose) which makes me think it's in the front end.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It almost sounds like you're getting some sort of front-end lift at high speed, or perhaps some shift in the suspension geometry is causing the darty-ness. How did you get the steering linked up with a V8 dropped in? My understanding is that the racks are different.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might need to add more caster or toe-in to the alignment, or play/wear in the tie-rod ends, ball-joints, or bushings.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You might need to add more caster or toe-in to the alignment, or play/wear in the tie-rod ends, ball-joints, or bushings.
Checking toe was my first thought as well. If it goes toe-out, the car can become darty in a straight line.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

I am thinking alignment too. I have mine set rather aggressively (forgot the specs) and it is a little darty in a straight line. I will take the trade off for cornering though.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1981TA
It almost sounds like you're getting some sort of front-end lift at high speed, or perhaps some shift in the suspension geometry is causing the darty-ness. How did you get the steering linked up with a V8 dropped in? My understanding is that the racks are different.
that's what i was told but when i got one out of a z28 it sat exactly how this one does? so i just returned the z28 rack to the salvage yard and left this one in.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Checking toe was my first thought as well. If it goes toe-out, the car can become darty in a straight line.

i had new tie rods put on and had it aligned when i got the exhaust put on. i'm gonna run the by the shop and have them check it again.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Requires more toe-in.

I assume all the bushings/balljoints/bearings are in good condition.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottie dont
that's what i was told but when i got one out of a z28 it sat exactly how this one does? so i just returned the z28 rack to the salvage yard and left this one in.
2001-2002 v6 cars have the same steering linkage setup as the V8 cars. They quit using the rag joint after 1999 or 2000.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
2001-2002 v6 cars have the same steering linkage setup as the V8 cars. They quit using the rag joint after 1999 or 2000.
very good to know!

Quick Reply: car has tons of bite cornering but is very darty