Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting ls6 intake, fisheye after primer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting ls6 intake, fisheye after primer

I am in the process of painting my ls6 intake with duplicolor rattle can paint. I laid down my primer (highbuild) and it looks great except one area about the size of a quarter has developed some pretty bad fisheye. I sanded the intake with 180, then 400 and clean cleaned/degreesed and allowed plenty of time to dry.

My question is where do I go from here? Should I sand the whole intake, clean and degreese and lay another coat? Or should I attempt to spot fix that area and only sad/clean/apply at that spot?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

I would re sand the whole thing so i know its perfectly smooth and uniform. But iv never been good at spotfixin
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

i would sand that area smooth and re-prime that spot using light coats. also when you start painting dont wet the hell out of it at first. start with a few light coats and flash in between coats really good. then go ahead and wet it. less material is always better.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3gensoffs
i would sand that area smooth and re-prime that spot using light coats. also when you start painting dont wet the hell out of it at first. start with a few light coats and flash in between coats really good. then go ahead and wet it. less material is always better.
X2 -light coats are your friend
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Launching!

I managed to get the fish eye taken care of following your suggestions thanks.

One other question, what do you mean by flash in between coats?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black79transam
I managed to get the fish eye taken care of following your suggestions thanks.

One other question, what do you mean by flash in between coats?
Flash time is the time in between spraying coats of primer, paint or clear. If you dont allow enough time in between coats you could get runs or delamination (peeling) and lots of other problems.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95stro
Flash time is the time in between spraying coats of primer, paint or clear. If you dont allow enough time in between coats you could get runs or delamination (peeling) and lots of other problems.
Thanks, That will not be a problem as I am giving this sucker tons of time to cure. Is it bad to give it to much dry time?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, That will not be a problem as I am giving this sucker tons of time to cure. Is it bad to give it to much dry time?
Most products have an 8, 12 or 24h recoat window. What this means is you have up to 8, 12 or 24 hours to do the next coat without having to sand and repaint it. Paints usually have the recoat and flash times on them some where. The only concern with waiting a long time (while still being in the recoat window) would be contaminants such as dust, bugs, chemicals etc.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You put to much on at one time, it always good to put a few good dust coats on before you lay you final thick coat
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget the 5-8 coats of clear...Really gives it the 3dimensional finish.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the process of painting my ls6 intake with duplicolor rattle can paint. I laid down my primer (highbuild) and it looks great except one area about the size of a quarter has developed some pretty bad fisheye. I sanded the intake with 180, then 400 and clean cleaned/degreesed and allowed plenty of time to dry.

My question is where do I go from here? Should I sand the whole intake, clean and degreese and lay another coat? Or should I attempt to spot fix that area and only sad/clean/apply at that spot?

Probably your problem. That stuff is junk
Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Probably your problem. That stuff is junk
Check my sig block for a pic of my intake. I painted it with cheap hi-temp Rustoleum 5 years ago..... and it's still holding up fine. That's not much better than Duplicolor. It's all in the degrease/ prep work
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Check my sig block for a pic of my intake. I painted it with cheap hi-temp Rustoleum 5 years ago..... and it's still holding up fine. That's not much better than Duplicolor. It's all in the degrease/ prep work
Yes I know all about prep work I spend 30 hours a week doing it

Im not saying you cant get good paint job with rattle can products but it may take a few tries...and yes very thorough prep work. It also helps painting in a heated environment

Quick Reply: painting ls6 intake, fisheye after primer