Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Driveway Paint Job: Urethane or Lacquer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driveway Paint Job: Urethane or Lacquer?

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on respraying a car soon. It's going to be outside, in my driveway, in a tent. All the small things I've sprayed before I've done in urethane, but I'm worried about spraying the clear given the conditions I'm working in. Would be simpler to spray lacquer? Which am I better off using in this case?

Also are there any major advantages over the other besides durability?

Also, the car does NOT sit in a garage. There is already lacquer paint on there. I could either use lacquer and lacquer clear (which I've never done), or block down the existing lacquer, spray a sealer and then do BC/CC Urethane, but I'm worried that won't last very long.

Thanks!

Last edited by 98 WS6; 03-19-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant put a urethane over a laq. i didnt know anyone still used laq.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on respraying a car soon. It's going to be outside, in my driveway, in a tent. All the small things I've sprayed before I've done in urethane, but I'm worried about spraying the clear given the conditions I'm working in. Would be simpler to spray lacquer? Which am I better off using in this case?

Also are there any major advantages over the other besides durability?

Also, the car does NOT sit in a garage. There is already lacquer paint on there. I could either use lacquer and lacquer clear (which I've never done), or block down the existing lacquer, spray a sealer and then do BC/CC Urethane, but I'm worried that won't last very long.

Thanks!
lacquer based is old technology..waste of time and $$$..BC/CC is the way to do it..long as its done right and you take care of it it will last long time.and im not big fan of spraying in tent.there is so much that can go wrong and cost you $$$$ and time.my recommendation would be YOU do all the prep work and get the car ready for paint.then just ask around your local body shops to see how much would they charge to shoot it?or even maaco will shoot it for couple hundred bucks.and KEY to successful paint-job is in the PREP WORK..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

urethane is a far more superior product and is far more durable. like stated above lacquer is old technology... no real quality shops spray lacquer anymore...
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Newer generation laquers are improved over the old stuff.I was happy spraying some on my-------- home entertainment center, but I'd rather use urethanes for something that sits outdoors.
The color(s) you're using make a little difference on what you can get away with. While black is less forgiving on bodywork,I find it forgiving for a skilled home paint job. It looks it's best buffed anyways, so you can sand & buff out numerous small bugs.
Maaco uses a lot of dupont nason products, they're decent.If you look at my pics in the photobucket link, the main portion of my ride I painted in 98' with dupont chroma bc/cc.The tailgate & bedcover were painted under an overhang at work during a very light mist witn nason single stage. The front fenders, hood & nose were painted at home around midnight on 2 nights with the same single stage & nason clear over it. In pictures there is no difference. Up close the single stage is blacker at night, but needs more constant cleaning to look as good.

Quick Reply: Driveway Paint Job: Urethane or Lacquer?