Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint turning yellow

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint turning yellow

Ok so I just got a new paint job on my 99 z28 and the paint is turning yellow on the hood (fiberglass ss hood) paint is artic white with the yellow base pulled out. My painter is screwing me and won't answer his phone and hasn't been at his shop. What can I do to fix this?? Almost looks like someone sprayed mace on my hood.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

is it the whole hood or like spots that had been primed?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

has to be repainted its bodywork coming through.have him go over it with sliver before the white.had this issue years back on a white pearl i did and had a rep come out.he was telling me that buy putting the silver on before the white it would keep it down.not sure why i seal everything before i paint.but anytime i do white now i shoot a silver on it havent had a problem since.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

^^^^ interesting. we use reconditioned bumpers at work, ive had a light blue come back with that yellowing where they repaired it. thats mostly sliver in that color. i cant see how that would help. what kind of paint do you spray?
sorry op not trying to hijack, but it may help you too.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3gensoffs
^^^^ interesting. we use reconditioned bumpers at work, ive had a light blue come back with that yellowing where they repaired it. thats mostly sliver in that color. i cant see how that would help. what kind of paint do you spray?
sorry op not trying to hijack, but it may help you too.
the rep also said the yellowing is from putting too much hardner in the filler.not sure i buy that one.we have a matrix system for the last few years.had a diamont system before that and had the issue happen before.ive also seen the yellowing happen in silver (not from something ive done)so i agree not sure why its suppose to help.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Teching In

It is just on spots of the hood. When he reprinted it he re-fiberglassed the hood to get the waves out and where the waves use to be is where it is happening. Could he have fiberglassed wrong maybe?

Am I able to fix this myself? Seems how I can't get hold of my painter and he isn't at his shop the past three days.

Will definitely try the silver when it gets redone.

Thanks for all the replays!!

Edit: tried getting picture but will have to wait til the sun goes down some. Paint is to bright and the the yellow isn't showing up in the picture
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

the yellowing is caused from a cheap filler or cheap primer that lets the paint bleed through.
or i should say paint soak in. theres no quick fix, it will have to be repainted. im not so sure i wouldnt sand all the body work out of the hood and start over. you may be able to re-prime the places and be fine. ive never seen anything do it with good materials. the bumpers ive seen do it have been repaired at another place that does mass volumes so im sure they dont use the best products.
hope you can get up with your painter so he can warranty it for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Cool thanks for all the responses!! Still working on getting a hold of my painter if I can't looks like I'm out 3k and will be spending more money to fix it....
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Cheap primer.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls13ater
Cheap primer.
I agree, same thing just happened to me when we painted my enginebay, Its got a yellow tint just where I did body work and used filler, just sprayed those spots with a spray can primer..... I was told it should have been sealed over the primer before paint..... No biggie, I'll get it fixed when I get the whole car resprayed in a few years
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

So little update still can't get hold of my flippin painter!!! Bugging the hell outta me!! So I think I may just give up on him and go to another shop sometime this week cause more and more spots are turning up and my gorgeous new paint job looks like crap now!

Quick Reply: Paint turning yellow