Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No reception with factory or aftermarket amp. antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reception with factory or aftermarket amp. antenna

I have always had reception problems with my 2002 T/A. When I got it the stock system was all screwed up so I had a Sony head unit put in with 4 speakers powered by an amp. I recently posted on here about possibly rewiring it myself, because that installation apparently wasn't very good. With the factory antenna installed, it picked up almost nothing. I had lots of great replies, but decided to let a new, more reputable shop take a look at it. Anyway, the old shop had already installed an amplified interior antenna to try to get some FM. But it hardly picks up anything, especially outside of town. The new shop was able to eliminate the buzzing sound, which was traced back to speaker wires being twisted and jammed into the back of the head unit.

They fixed that, but my FM reception is still almost non-existent. They suggest I buy a new antenna. I want to go with a stock type setup, either powered, or stationary like the Camaros. My factory antenna made a grinding sound going up and down, but never got stuck either way. Would that grinding issue mean that something was wrong with it enough to hurt reception? I'm just wanting to make sure a new antenna would fix my issues so I don't buy a new antenna when that's not the problem.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks-Zack
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The antenna is just a passive element and there is very little that can go wrong with it. Any mechanical issues with the motor will have no effect on reception unless they prevent the antenna mast from fully extending.

I suspect that your problem is actually with the cable between the antenna and the head unit. In your case, there will be two pieces - the main cable from the back of the car and the short adapter cable behind the head unit that converts the mini-Motorola connector used by GM to the standard Motorola connector used by almost everybody else. I would try replacing the adapter cable first since it is inexpensive and easy to access. If that doesn't solve the problem, get an aftermarket fixed antenna to fit the car, mount it, and just run the cable over the seats to the HU to see if you get decent reception. If so, you can take the time to hide the cable behind trim panels - but if it doesn't solve the problem you haven't spent a lot of time trying it.

If you would rather go with factory equipment, the cable part number is 12186133 and it is available from the dealer for about $24 or about half that online. The fixed antenna mast is 10425536 ($30) and the bracket is 10425534 ($19). You should still have the rubber grommet but if not, it is part 10298264 ($20). Since reception is a concern, I would not go with the factory power antenna as the multi-segment mast is not as effective as a solid mast.

Quick Reply: No reception with factory or aftermarket amp. antenna