LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Z28 problem

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Z28 problem

My 93 is having some issues lately. I'm not up with all the EFI stuff, but familiar enough to muddle through it. Right now, it's real hard to start, like there's no spark. It was difficult to start cold all last year. Once it was warm it had no issues. Now the thing will run for a little while, then die, and won't restart. It's like it has no spark again, just cranking over not even getting the slightest fire. Fuel pump and pressure seem good. During the no starts the pump primes everytime. I checked pressue once and it was at 45psi. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DJ
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Need to know more info about the car. any mods? what transmission?

service engine soon light on?

did you happen to notice if it stayed at 45 psi or if it started bleeding off after a few seconds?

otherwise check threw your ignition, ICM,
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

When was the last tune up done? also simple checks would be to take icm and coil off and test them, autozone can test the icm, just ask them to test it a couple of times until its real nice and hot. Shbox's website has a guide to check the coil.
also the opti could possibly be bad, not saying it is but always a possibility
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

It runs then dies after the engine warms up? Sounds very common for icm / opti failure.
If you let the car sit and cool alittle bit will it start back up? Again check shbox site for diag procedures before you start throwing parts at it unless you're like me and have 2 spare icm's in the garage
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I was thinking ICM, and or opti. To answer some questions, yes the check engine light is on (been on sine I bought it). Fuel pressure stays steady. I've replaced my MSD coil after it started to leak spark to it's own outer coil plates. It seemed like it helped, started right up, but next time SOS. Stock motor, A4, only mods are nitrous wet shot, CAI, headers, Crane HI-6 ignition, CSR, and other non motor related stuff. Opti supposedly has 40K miles on it. I've replaced O2s, plug wires and plugs (last fall) and was getting ready to do a rotor and button, but was thinking about a new opti. It does seem to start up again after it cools, but before it's ever been running it's hard to start on cold starts, which makes me think it's not a heat related problem. I'll see about getting the ICM checked out this weekend.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ICM would be my first angle of attack
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
The ICM would be my first angle of attack
Mine would be to scan it for codes, that's what the check engine light is telling you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Z28 problem