Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bought ebay intercooler (CXRacing MX5 MX6 RX8 4" Intercooler + Piping Kit MIATA) ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bought ebay intercooler (CXRacing MX5 MX6 RX8 4" Intercooler + Piping Kit MIATA) ?'s

Okay I just bought this kit and I was wondering if anybody has installation instructions. Will there be cutting involved of the install of this intercooler kit? Any info on this kit appreciated!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think theres any instruction are you installing your self?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Cld u post a pic, most fmics have welded nuts on the top of them, now in my eyes there r two ways to do these on a f body are bumpers can usually b used as the intercooler support. basically u need to measure the width of the top 8" of the intercoooler and then(making sure it fits in between the frame rails) cut a c out of the bottom of the bumper..........so u cut the front the back and the bottom out of the bumper all the way up to the top sheet metal now most guys stop abt 3/8 away from the top so u cld put a peice of 1/4" x 2" stock across the top of the bumper where ur bolting it thru, this stiffens it up a bit for u. The other option the more expensive opt is mwc makes a front bumper support that has hangers for fmic built into the tubular bumper support they are really nice peices. Now there are alot of ways to do this, just be very mindful of where your piping run there is like a 5" window of where the piping goes where u have a pretty straight shot usually moving the air pump horns and cruise control, hoping this helps u.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
Cld u post a pic, most fmics have welded nuts on the top of them, now in my eyes there r two ways to do these on a f body are bumpers can usually b used as the intercooler support. basically u need to measure the width of the top 8" of the intercoooler and then(making sure it fits in between the frame rails) cut a c out of the bottom of the bumper..........so u cut the front the back and the bottom out of the bumper all the way up to the top sheet metal now most guys stop abt 3/8 away from the top so u cld put a peice of 1/4" x 2" stock across the top of the bumper where ur bolting it thru, this stiffens it up a bit for u. The other option the more expensive opt is mwc makes a front bumper support that has hangers for fmic built into the tubular bumper support they are really nice peices. Now there are alot of ways to do this, just be very mindful of where your piping run there is like a 5" window of where the piping goes where u have a pretty straight shot usually moving the air pump horns and cruise control, hoping this helps u.
I was wondering if it can be installed without cutting? Or if I do have to cut will I need to have the ends of the pipe rolled out so the couplers don't pop off? I was planning to just cut the bumper support and bolt the intercooler to it... I guess I'll no more when I get it all here and start tearing stuff apart
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

No u pretty much have 2 cut so air goes thru to radiator and i dont have ends rolled i think thats a turbo thing, but spend the extra money on vband clamps instead of just standard hose clamps. I think ur thinking of the bumper as the bumper support what i wld consider the bumper support is the plastic part that holds the nose, and the bumper as the approx 8" x approx 30" wide rectangular channel that is bolted via 6 bolts, 3 on each side to the front of the frame rails, this is the peice u need to cut.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

I'm talking about mounting the intercooler like this

Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Link to the Kit? I wanna check this out to see if it will work for my build.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

yes thats exactly it, but u can c that this install doesnt have the 1/4 x 2" stock on the top thus the flex in the top. but agn just suggestion, now does ur ls1 p1 mount drivers side clocked facing down its been a while since ive seen a ls1 SC.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You bought a generic kit that contains mutliple pipes of each kind of bend, "J", "U", "L" and straight peices. Like I said in the other thread, get the intercooler mounted how ever you want, then mount up the head unit and now connect the two. Then go from the outlet of the intercooler to your throttle body.

Have you ever done any plubming work? There's no correct answer other than you want the path to be smooth with minimal bends and no sharp turns, just like doing drain plumbing at home. If you want a pre-designed kit, then buy the one from Procharger, but honestly, it's not that tough.

As for if you need to bead roll the ends if you cut them, no, you don't especially since you said you've only planning to run 6-7psi. Spray the end of the pipe with some hairspray which will help the coupler slide on, but when it dries, it becomes tacky and will help the coupler hold.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bead roller:

**** cost $5 and a half an hour to make
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Alright guys thanks for the info. My intercooler should be here this weekend or by monday. I'll just have to eyeball it!

Quick Reply: Bought ebay intercooler (CXRacing MX5 MX6 RX8 4" Intercooler + Piping Kit MIATA) ?'s