Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEW Suspension Setup , Opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Suspension Setup , Opinions ?

Ok so I`m planning on doing some more suspension work this summer , I`m thinking of swaping out my SLP/ Bilstine tuned shocks for some Koni SA`s would it be worth it ?

And I would like to install BMR`s 1'' front lowerd A-Arms I already have UMI Uppers but would this be a good idea for a car that is driven on the street ?

I`m also planning to do the CTS-V front brake upgrade aswell .

BTW car is already lowerd with Eibach Pro-Kit .

Thanks .
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice firehawk.

Yes, I personally think the upgrade from Billstein/Eibach to Koni/BMR (or strano springs) is well worth the cash. You won't find a better price on them than you will this time of year. Chances are you can recoup some cash from your used shocks and springs and get into a Koni setup relatively cheap.

Can't speak on the A-arms, I don't have any experiences with thos.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles are on your Bilstines? I personally think YES, going from Bilstines to a Koni:BMR springs or a Koni:Strano springs is worth the change. You cant go wrong with either setup IMO.

What is your main purpose use of the car?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We've had a lot of customers run our A-arms on the street. Most of our customers, as a matter of fact, do. You shouldn't have any worries at all. The 1-inch lowering A-arms are a good way to drop the car without impacting shock longevity or using a lowering spring. However, running our 1-inch lowering A-arms WITH a lowering spring might be a problem. Ground clearance aside, you will more than likely have issues with bumpsteer.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Nice firehawk.

Yes, I personally think the upgrade from Billstein/Eibach to Koni/BMR (or strano springs) is well worth the cash. You won't find a better price on them than you will this time of year. Chances are you can recoup some cash from your used shocks and springs and get into a Koni setup relatively cheap.

Can't speak on the A-arms, I don't have any experiences with thos.
Thanks for the complement Rare96LT1Formula , Im thinking I will probably switch up to some strano springs and new front strut mounts as well & try and re-coupe some cash !

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
How many miles are on your Bilstines? I personally think YES, going from Bilstines to a Koni:BMR springs or a Koni:Strano springs is worth the change. You cant go wrong with either setup IMO.

What is your main purpose use of the car?
Thanks Blackpanther99 my bilstines probably have around 30 KM ( not miles ) or about four summers on them , my eibachs have always been harsh ride . As for what purpose I`d say 80% street 20% track if I wanted to track the car that is , mainly an all purpose car autocross , road course & street , I do tend to drive the car a little hard on the street too LOL .

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
We've had a lot of customers run our A-arms on the street. Most of our customers, as a matter of fact, do. You shouldn't have any worries at all. The 1-inch lowering A-arms are a good way to drop the car without impacting shock longevity or using a lowering spring. However, running our 1-inch lowering A-arms WITH a lowering spring might be a problem. Ground clearance aside, you will more than likely have issues with bumpsteer.

- Kevin
Thanks Kevin , I was also thinking of using the shims to maybe only lower my car 1/2 an inch aswell ?

Last edited by 99canadahawk; 03-22-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I would go with the Koni's, they work very well. I have had mine since 2005.

As for the front lowers, the BMR style is not for you if you want them for street or handling. Look at the boxed Road Race UMIs if you feel you must have an aftermarket lower control arm. I broke a set of tubular lowers and replaced them with the boxed version. The only other design I would have trusted for handling would have been LGs, which are no longer made.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=619

Last edited by RAMPANT; 03-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW Suspension Setup , Opinions ?