What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 NHRA T/A What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 NHRA T/A What's it worth?

Hi friends and neighbors, I need a little help. A used car dealer has this one.
87,313 miles
1 Owner CarFax.
No breaks in the door panels that I can tell from the pictures.
Color is pewter.
And of course the badges and p/s cooling that go with the NHRA package.
The best I've been able to come up with, as far as pricing, is from
NADA which lists one price only of $14,215 retail in excellent condition. Private
party shows $12,090. Their price is $13,500 or best offer, and that's my question, what's a good offer? I've had 4 Trans Am's and 1 base coupe over the years with the
last being back in 94 so I'm real rusty as far as doing current pricing is concerned.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmm I would say 12k would be at the very top for a specimen in premium condition. I would say maybe 9-10k would be a fair offer. You can easily find cars with lower miles with that kind of money. I bought my T/A back in 09 with 29k on it for 12.5k.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Hmmmmmmm I would say 12k would be at the very top for a specimen in premium condition. I would say maybe 9-10k would be a fair offer. You can easily find cars with lower miles with that kind of money. I bought my T/A back in 09 with 29k on it for 12.5k.
OK, thanks. I wanted to have all my 'ducks in a row' if I was going to drive 2 hours for a look at it.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Being at a dealership sure doesn't help. You really haven't told us if the car needs anything, from tires to any type of maintenance. I know you need to see it but so many ???? Any mods to the car? Is the transmission an auto or manual? If the latter, how is the clutch? The mileage is getting up there if it is original. Everything matters in regards to price.
My concern with paying anything over $11,000 is the mileage. Very soon you will have 6 figures on the odometer. Normally no big deal if the car was maintained well, BUT, if the need comes to sell the car, it becomes a more limited buyer's market as many buyers skip the 100,000 miles cars. It is just human nature fearing the big repairs possibly ahead of it. It also brings your selling price closer to $8,000 in a 'private party' sale. That would be a rather pricey hit. Of course there is depreciation on every car and the longer you keep it the less the 'hit'. No one can predict the future and no one knows if this car will be a dream or a headache when it comes to repairs. Imagine sinking $2,000+ into this car and then needing to sell it in a year with 100k miles on the clock. Ouch!! I hope it works out for you but be careful you don't overpay. Personally I wouldn't pay $10,000 for a car like this but if you love it, and plan to keep it for a few years, I don't see a problem with $11,000. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 2002 NHRA T/A What's it worth?