General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Check Gauges light

Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Gauges light

Different than the Service engine light, the check gauges (in the bottom left hand corner of the cluster) flickers faintly (enough to where you can't see it during the day, only at night) when I go WOT, with or without downshifting. I believe the higher the RPM the greater the flicker... kind of hard to watch when you need to shift lol.

Any ideas? I thought it was the knock sensors, so I upgraded to the newer style sensors/harness, which needed replaced anyway. Also put some NGK TR55's in in replace of a delco iridium, still no go. Maybe wires? I figure its an ignition issue, but am not really sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Launching!

I thought that one came on primarily for low gas, low oil pressure or low charge only.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, thats the problem. The only other time I've seen it, was when I put my headers back on and cracked a spark plug, and the spark was shorting out through the ceramic.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 666ws6
I thought that one came on primarily for low gas, low oil pressure or low charge only.
Correct.

One of the gauges is showing a value outside of what is considered the "normal" range.

Since it's just a flicker, I doubt it's due to low fuel. Keep an eye on your volt meter next time you see it flicker. I had a voltage issue once at higher rpms too, and would see a faint flicker from that light...then I noticed that the volt meter would dip down low during the flicker.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Correct.

One of the gauges is showing a value outside of what is considered the "normal" range.

Since it's just a flicker, I doubt it's due to low fuel. Keep an eye on your volt meter next time you see it flicker. I had a voltage issue once at higher rpms too, and would see a faint flicker from that light...then I noticed that the volt meter would dip down low during the flicker.
The voltage is perfectly fine, I can trigger it by going WOT in 6th while crusing around as well. Thats what is so confusing
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What kind of gearing do you have in the tranny? Are your fifth and sixth gears still overdrive gears, or did you change them?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Fosnot
The voltage is perfectly fine, I can trigger it by going WOT in 6th while crusing around as well. Thats what is so confusing
In my case it wasn't really the higher rpms that brought on the issue either, it was actually engine twist during WOT/heavy acceleration. There is a ground strap that runs from the block, past the alternator, and over to the frame. On my '98, that ground strap somehow ended up laying on top of the alternator, and would discharge the alternator when dragged across it as the engine twisted under load.

It took me some time to notice the quick dip in voltage when this happened, at first the only thing I noticed was the slight flicker of the check gauges light. The rest of the time my voltage was reading absolutely perfect.

I discovered that I could reproduce the condition just by power braking the car in my driveway. After some testing and parts swapping, I finally discovered that contact with this ground wire was apparently the issue all along.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll have to check that out, I do recall leaving it in place when I added a 4 gauge wire as part of the 'big 3'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Gauges light