Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto trans heeeelp

Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto trans heeeelp

ok heres the story have a 94 trans am lt1 with a 4l60e auto trans with a smoked 3-4 took it to my local trans shop for a rebuild. after rebuild 3-4 smoked on way home est 1.5 miles took it back they put in a new core ok now they say some wires were on the headers from the guy who did the motor build and he didnt tuck them away ok so he fixed those and no he claims that it may have shorted the computer is this complete BS or is it possible for wires from computer to trans to short out the computer 6 weeks and counting anyone help

Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 386 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you getting a "Check engine light" or have your scanned for codes?

A good trans shop will put the wheels up, connect a pressure gauge and a scanner and run the car through all gears and test that the computer can control the pressure in the trans. If that test succeeds then the computer and wiring have to be OK.

Where are you in IL?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

aurora,il it just seems kinda odd the whole situation it had no check engine light at all when i had it with 3-4 gone would that cause a check engine light
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

he said he was driving it with a scaner hooked up and after roughly a mile it went out and thats what led to the wiring problem
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM

No, a failed 3-4 clutch will not cause a MIL light, but most cut or shorted wires in the harness to the trans will.
I'm not saying the shop gave you BS, but not testing it with a scanner and pressure gauge indicates you might want to go somewhere else.

Sponsor and top-of-the-line trans builder Finish Line Transmission (FLT) is in Wood Dale, IL, 35 miles from you. However owner Chuck told me yesterday he has a 3+ week backlog right now. Still if you can wait that long and want an excellent rebuild that is the place to go.

Actually I'm confused by your 1st post. Is your trans working or not? Is the 3-4 clutch still smoked or is the shop trying to overcharge you after fixing it.?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stuntinZ28
he said he was driving it with a scaner hooked up and after roughly a mile it went out and thats what led to the wiring problem
Hmm, well a few people here have admitted burning their trans harness on new headers.

Even if the shorted wiring commanded the trans to minimum line pressure, the 3-4 clutch should not burn out in 2 miles unless you were WOT the entire time.

So, are they trying to turn you down for a warranty rebuild?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

well it paid $1200 for the rebuild took it back then another $250 for the core and god only knows what after the wiring and or computer not to mention they have had it going on 6 weeks but he said after the core and another rebuild it was working great for the test drive then all of a sudden his scaner went blank
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

im kinda at the point ive paid them money and i want it finished but also done right
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

he told me 3-4 was smoking out because of a leak in the core after the new core went in the wire issue came up he fixed the melted wires and now belives the comp maybe shorted kinda weird he says he is getting a used comp to test it ccant you test a computer what if he scaner went bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto trans heeeelp