Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What clutch for 403ci 450-500hp??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What clutch for 403ci 450-500hp??

OK i have a 02 camaroSS 6spd 403 stroker with ported LS1 heads and LS6 intake for now it only put down 460hp/455tq to the tire through a 10 bolt due to heads/intake setup im currently running a LS7 clutch but i think the slaves going out so im gonna replace everything while the trans is out i dont want anything radical i DO NOT track it just a highway car and roll racing NO DIGS so i would like a clutch that doesnt have a really hard pedal and isnt an on/off switch was thinking about going back with the ls7 but i would like to put a better set of heads on it in the near future and hit the 500hp mark will the ls7 hold up to that kind of power since i dont ever dump the clutch?...
any input would be great

again this is just a street car mainly highway runs and roll racing so i dont put to big of a hurt on the clutch. thanks guys
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 AM
Teching In

im also on a budget and not wanting to spend a whole lot of money hints why i was looking at the ls7 clutch. just wanting something that will hold up to the power so that i can get it back on the road and just enjoy the car since i just got done dumping a bunch of money into the motor and tranny setup

Thanks Again
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freeway runs still put pressure on the clutch to slip unless you're really taking it easy on the shifting.

I'd suggest the Monster Stage 2. The LS7 may hold for a while but I'd like a little safety margin. The LS7 leaves you very little room to grow.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP will be best suited with pretty much any Twin Disc clutch but I'd recommmend the Mcleod RST for this situation. Its capable of holding 800hp, is as smooth if not smoother than the stock clutch and has a very light pedal. Most single dics clutches that are able to hold a good amount of power are harsh on engagement and usually have a heavy pedal.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^

I agree on a "twin" disc clutch.

I have been down the single disc route more than I care to think. More aggressive disc materials and modified PP for more clamp initially work better for high HP cars but don't last. Also street maners are sacrafices as the aggressive disc material can easily chatter making stop/go traffic a PIA.

"Twin" clutch set ups offer twice the friction surface as a single disc

I got the McLeod Street Twin, wish I had sent the $ in the first place because I have certainly spent more on single disc clutches over the years.

Basically you pay more now...or a lot more later

OP, since you don't intend to "drag" the car a organic disc is fine, even for occasional trips to the track. If high RPM clutch dumps on a tire and track use is the primary intent than get the ceramic type discs.

As mentioned McLeod offers the two disc types in it's Twin as RST or RXT
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just purchased/received my Tick Master/Monster Stage 3 Complete Clutch Package. Good for 700hp/700tq and everyone who has it absolutely loves it. Smooth as butter and feels like stock.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Teching In

i like the idea of a twin disk ill have to keep looking not sure if i wanna spend the money on one right now tho... anybody know anything about the RAM HD clutch kits?? they dont seem to bad for the money
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Whatever you do don't go with the Monster 2. Go with the 3. Yes, the 2 is rated at 550tq, but they don't really like to see folks within 50hp/tq of the rating. Stage 3 and you're good to go.

Tick has some really good prices on them.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake02SS_7
i like the idea of a twin disk ill have to keep looking not sure if i wanna spend the money on one right now tho... anybody know anything about the RAM HD clutch kits?? they dont seem to bad for the money
I didn't like the $ either....hate it more that I have spent double that on single disc clutchs that work good for a year and hold up at the track but all have the same end and the more aggressive the disc material street maners get worse.

if going with a single I agree that at least a "3" from someone like Monster although I have never used their product before as they don't make anything for the LT1. LS, yes.

Clutches like the RAM HD, centerforce DF....if you are making the power you post they will soon die unless you are just putting around in the car. hard launch and hammering it in 4th at fwy speeds will soon show its weakness.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i am also looking at the Mcleod RST twin clutch kit. now the RXT twin clutch kit says that it will bolt to a stock LS1 flywheel and use stock type hydraulics, does anyone know if you can use the RST twin kit with a stock style flywheel?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the money isnt there for a twin/triple clutch, check out our Level 3. They are rated at 700 rwhp/tq. About half the price
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run a McLeod RST as well, and I was a little reluctant about spending the money on one, but i'm very glad I did!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I just purchased/received my Tick Master/Monster Stage 3 Complete Clutch Package. Good for 700hp/700tq and everyone who has it absolutely loves it. Smooth as butter and feels like stock.
Well now don't go that far...it def. doesn't feel like stock and I can't say it is smooth either. It does feel good, but not like stock at all - it's an on/off switch for the most part.

Quick Reply: What clutch for 403ci 450-500hp??