Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Ok so im new to ls1 tech. i recently bought a 97 base model firebird with the 3800 series 2 for 350! drove it 20 mins home. Now it just shuts off while driving at random times not when im turning or hitting a bump, it will happen on a straight road. It will cut all power no lights nothing, then after 2 seconds everything comes back and i can usaly start it. but lately i will try to start it and ill just kill the battery. I will wait 10 mins charge the battery and start it and drive it maybe 1/4 of a mile before it dies again. While its going thew this issue it will sputter like its not enough gas. This last time i finally got it home and decided to leave it running to see if it would die out because it normally would but this time it just stayed running no putting no nothing could rev it with no issues.

Now a little info on the car. It has 145xxx miles, was hit on the front left corner 2 years ago and sat till i bought it. I put new gas in started it up and drove it home battery was shot also but i charged it and it has been working fine. Also my oil pressure switch broke at some point so my gauge reads 0. I have done a fresh oil change and seafoam threw the tank. Want to do the fuel filter but it bent the hose a little and i got scared of breaking it lol.

I dont need this running right away is was a cheap purchase so far i have a total of 550 into it.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 AM

Check the charging system as a first step and get a good battery in it. Thats the starting piont. I have had some cars in the past that would do this and the battery had bad connections and/or the alternator was not charging. Do this and give us an update.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with the previous poster. Check the charging system, battery, and battery connections first. It'll rule out those easier fixes.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Yes, check all the connections at the battery and starter as well s at the alternator. Also, there's a few ground connections you should check.

If the battery is bad, it may not take a charge. It may also take a charge but not hold it.

Quick Reply: Help!