tail lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail lights not working

hello
i pulled my car out after storage and i have a problem

my brake lights arent working....when i turn my lights on the rear lights come on...when i hit the signal the rear lights work when i hit the breaks only the third light on the wing comes on the tail lights themselves dont work.....any ideas??

thank you for your help
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

I'v had the same prob on my trans am for the last couple months can't figure it out either.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Teching In

do you think it can have anything to do with the turn signal switches in the steering colum....i recently had that off over the winter to install a new cylinder lock??
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

The brake lights share the same fuse as the hazard lights, 20 amp. If your hazards also don't work that's probably it.

To the OP, messing with the turn signal stuff shouldn't have done anything to the brake lights. Being that you said your third light still lights, I'm guessing it's the switch itself located on the brake pedal assembly. There is a yellow wire going from that switch to your third light, then there is also a light blue wire running from the switch to the tail lamps. I'm guessing the switch isn't sending power to that blue wire when you push the petal down.

I'm getting this info off my service manual for my 94. It might vary from year to year.

Last edited by FormulaJoe; 03-21-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Teching In

i got it ....it was the connector under the steering wheel, the one that the turn signals are off of....i figured it out through this diagram http://shbox.com/1/exterior_lights.htm the third light is direct and the two regular lights go through the turn signal switches....i thouced all around with the test light and it was loss of power at the connector...fixed ....thank you for your help guys
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad you were able to make use of the diagram.

Quick Reply: tail lights not working