LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help please: ABS axles vs. non-ABS axles

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help please: ABS axles vs. non-ABS axles

Hey all

Wondering if I can swap axles that have ABS on the ends into another 10-bolt rear that has the ABS PLUG on the pumpkin only.

Just hoping they'll swap right over.

Thanks to anyone with the answer.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Teching In

I believe they are the same, with the 4-channel ones simply having the reluctor wheels pressed onto them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...le-length.html

Last edited by skanitz1; 03-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply, Skanitz1. I figured it out today when I tore into the rear of my car.

The ABS axles will swap over to my new 10 bolt...no problem. It's kind of a bummer because the 10 bolt I had built did not have the ABS stuff on the axles, and I didn't know about this until I started tearing the old rear out of my Firebird.

However, I discovered, and I hope this helps someone else out, that I needed to unbolt the ABS sensor on the backing plate and then had to smack the wheel ends of the axles in (toward the differential housing) with a hammer, until the ABS sensor plug got pushed in by the reluctor wheel. which then allowed the axle to go in far enough to give enough clearance for the C-Clips to be removed.

And the C-clips slid right off with a magnet, once the open ends faced down. Much easier to do than I had pictured.

First time messing with axles, for me.

I learn something new every day

Can't wait till I install my SLP Bilsteins with Strano springs on all four corners, along with my fresh 10 bolt with new Eaton posi and 3.73's and my LCA relocation brackets

I'll take her out for a spin or two then will tear the engine out and do my head and cam swap (Lloyd Elliott stuff)

Last edited by t33turbo; 03-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Help please: ABS axles vs. non-ABS axles