Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

F- bodies quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F- bodies quality

From reading a lot of threads here ( I stay in my neighborhood chapter mostly until late ), I'm wondering what the average mileage is on most members cars that seem to be falling apart with quality issues. I have for example 2 friends with 98 and 99 Maros . The 99 has 180k, lots of mods, driven hard and only issues with it have been DRLs and replaced a few clutches. The 98 with well over 200k has the LS pulled out for a LQ swap, but the LS still ran okay except for soft valve springs and small smoking. I guess maybe it depends on who was hungover on the production line that day.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got one of the 'birds that called the ghetto in San Antonio "home". I bought the car for 9300 with 106k on the clock. Nothing looked too bad, the door panels had the usual crack. Had a lot of "noise" making **** in the hatch. Upon driving around for about say... 2 weeks. Noticed quite a few noises. Over $5k in repairs... All suspension and some body. The exhaust was real loud and shitty. Too much drone. It's starting to blow a little smoke when starting up and you can smell oil when I get in it (common issue with these cars though). I removed the gigantic rims and all that stupid **** that's supposedly "cool". The problem I have just discovered now is one of the header bolts was broken off in the 241's (exhaust leak). Pulling them off friday and replacing them with my CNC'd TFS 215's. Might just as well swap the cam in but I'm worried about running it without a tune. Paint wasn't too bad at first glance but when getting close to it, there was a lot of scratches. Both front and rear bumpers have been replaced. It now has 118k on the clock and runs "normal". If I had a choice to go back in time and not buy my 'bird, I would. I would've looked on here for one instead of the scamming ***** on craigslist. Sorry for the long post, just figured I'd share.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my first T/A with 15*,*** miles. It was a BONESTOCK Trans Am other than a SLP lid. Well before the car went into construction for a project I have for it, the car was running reeeeal good. Engine was running strong, no tranny slip, frame was still good. The only big issue I had with it was the stock suspension. It was annoying as hell! Diferential was still strong as well. At the end I just decided to shut the car down under construction before the car started to give me bigger issues and have to fix them. Suspension is one of the main things you should be aware of with a high mileage F-Body.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a buddy that bought a beater 2002 z28 with 120k. the previous owner had put it in the ditch twice and he lived about 5 miles down a gravel road, so can imagine the paint. car was seriously neglected. it now has around 150k, he drives it everyday with no issues that im aware of.
i bought my 02 z with 62k on the clock, meticulously maintained one owner car. engine let go at 70k miles.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 90K on my Formula and the only issue I've had so far is a small oil leak. (knock on wood). Engine is still bone stock. It's been relatively trouble free for me so far.

Then again, I purposely don't do many performance mods because I don't want to have to work on it all the time. I'd rather have a slow reliable car than a fast one that breaks down every other week.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

I know Dr E. I'm thinking if just sticking with my basic mods until some bigger cash comes through so I can afford the headaches. Just a full exhaust , springs / bilsteins , PP TB, SLP lid, smooth bellows. Have 3:73 gears too.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my 2002 TA new and replaced the rear end with a Ford 9 inch when it was at about 18,000 miles. That's about the only real issue I've had but I'm only at about 29,000 miles now. Engine, exhaust, handling, and brake upgrades were not done because anything was broken. Tires have been replaced twice - second time with new wheels.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
I know Dr E. I'm thinking if just sticking with my basic mods until some bigger cash comes through so I can afford the headaches. Just a full exhaust , springs / bilsteins , PP TB, SLP lid, smooth bellows. Have 3:73 gears too.
I think there's a happy medium... you can have a car that's reasonably fast by most people's standards (although by LS1TECH standards nothing impressive) and still have a pretty reliable car.

I don't plan on doing much more performance-wise besides a mild cam.. maybe a 12-bolt..and I think it will be plenty fast for my taste at that point. Low 12's is all the faster I wanna get, I don't want to have to change brackets at the track. For right now I am gonna focus more on appearance mods.. and my CD player broke (and getting a Monsoon head that still works is a PITA) so now I have an excuse to put an aftermarket sound system in it.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

^^ When my Moosoon dies, I'd like to rebuild it. Kinda love the thing. Although , correct me if needed. I saw a thread for a pioneer DC3, is it? Looked complicated as to keeping the factory wire plug and fabricating a bezel. Kept steering wheel controls as well without hacking the harness !
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
^^ When my Moosoon dies, I'd like to rebuild it. Kinda love the thing. Although , correct me if needed. I saw a thread for a pioneer DC3, is it? Looked complicated as to keeping the factory wire plug and fabricating a bezel. Kept steering wheel controls as well without hacking the harness !
I really don't want to replace mine.. I don't drive my car that often, and it's a lot of money for a garage queen that I could be spending on other stuff.. but finding a clean, working Monsoon head any more is tough. I dunno how you'd rebuild it, my clock doesn't work any more and the CD player is toast. So I think I'm just gonna do a single DIN head, and use one of these bezels I found here..

http://maptechenterprises.com/storef...c06dbcbd2e83af

And if the head is gonna go, I'm replacing the rest of it, too. Will probably sound a lot better.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I think there's a happy medium... you can have a car that's reasonably fast by most people's standards (although by LS1TECH standards nothing impressive) and still have a pretty reliable car.

I don't plan on doing much more performance-wise besides a mild cam.. maybe a 12-bolt..and I think it will be plenty fast for my taste at that point. Low 12's is all the faster I wanna get, I don't want to have to change brackets at the track. For right now I am gonna focus more on appearance mods.. and my CD player broke (and getting a Monsoon head that still works is a PITA) so now I have an excuse to put an aftermarket sound system in it.

I have one that I just pulled out of my car, all the lights work, but the station readout would sometimes light up weird stuff. Pm me if you want to put a stocker back in it
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
teh PuRpL3z

PM Sent.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Link to some Monsoons on eBay just in case you didn't check:

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searc...0&isNewKw=true
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Bandit 43
Link to some Monsoons on eBay just in case you didn't check:

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searc...0&isNewKw=true
I check all the time... but who knows what you're getting. I dunno how much I wanna spend on something that could completely **** the bed a month or two from now.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
PM Sent.
Replied

Quick Reply: F- bodies quality