Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

qa1 coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default qa1 coil overs

O I've been looking at doing qa1 coik overs all around. What are your thoughts on them. I have a 500rwhp camaro. Just put the motor in to realize it spins in every gear and feels like a boat on the highway. I can't drive it, its honestly way too dangerous to be driven woth my old *** shocks and springs. Also the cst will never see the track its just gonna be a hard driven daily driver
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny89345
O I've been looking at doing qa1 coik overs all around. What are your thoughts on them. I have a 500rwhp camaro. Just put the motor in to realize it spins in every gear and feels like a boat on the highway. I can't drive it, its honestly way too dangerous to be driven woth my old *** shocks and springs. Also the cst will never see the track its just gonna be a hard driven daily driver
Try a search.
If you don't like the floaty, loose boat feeling your stock shocks give you (thats lack of rebound dampening) then QA1s or any other drag shock (afco, strange, comp) would be a waste of money, as they are also loose, floaty and disconnected as they are valved to just transfer weight for launching. On top of that they are not gas charged, so the harder they get worked the better chances the oil in them foams up and you loose even more dampening. - cheap, **** design.
If you want a stable, planted and solid ride you want a gas charged sport shock like Bilstiens, Konis, Penskie, or KW. The bilstiens are the least expensive, non adjustable, but offer the least amount of dampening control compared to the others. Good for stock springs, and far superior to the stock decarbon shocks.
The Koni SA's are single adjustable (rebound only, fixed compression setting), and offer lots of rebound control and down right amazing handling, and stability. They also offer a lifetime warranty.
Penskie (and race bilstiens) are custom adjustable shocks/coilovers that require you to know how you want them valved (this can be good or bad ofcourse) but offer no warranty to my knowledge.
KW's are an even higher end coilover/shock offered for our cars, I haven't read and reviews for them, but these are the same things offered on the ACR Vipers if I remember correctly.
Your one stop suspension shop here:
http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=20&ModelID=7
This guy will answer all your questions.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a dyno sheet for the Koni's?

Thanks

Ramey
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Launching!

So you don't suggest rear coil overs? My first choice wad konis. Also what springs would you recomend?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a dyno sheet for the Koni's?

Thanks

Ramey
Haha, we asked and they said NO SOUP FOR YOU! haha To be honest, 99.999934% of people can look at a true shock dyno sheet and have no clue what they're looking at.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnny89345
So you don't suggest rear coil overs? My first choice wad konis. Also what springs would you recomend?
No rear coilovers, not necessary unless you really want them for what ever reason (there is no real performance benefit though).
If you are dead set on adjustable ride height you can buy some ground control coilover sleeves for the front shocks, and some adjustable spring perches for the rear axle.
As far as springs go that depends on what is more important to you. If you want the best possible ride then stay on the stock ones. If you want improved handling and a lower stance then go with strano springs.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the way my camaro drives, it has qa1 coil overs on the front with spohn everything it drives great on the street, I love the way the car works
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The QA1 single adjustable shocks are a good street/strip shock.

For handling a big downfall to the QA1 front coil over kit is there lack of spring rate, their highest rate is 325 which is soft.

My recommendation is a double adjustable shock, with a double adjustable shock you can adjust the compression and rebound independently offering a lot more combinations. A single adjustable set up adjusts rebound and compression together. Depending on what a Koni dyno graph looked like you may be able to simulate a double adjustable shock to work as a Koni shock.

A new brand to also check out is Viking, below is a link to the Viking Kit. This kit is double adjustable offering 19 rebound settings and 19 compression settings. We also have spring rates of 250, 300, 350 and 550. This kit uses standard 2.5" ID springs as well so basically you can run any rate you choice since they are standard size.

Viking Kit- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=743

Here is a QA1 Kit- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=573

If you have any questions please ask. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with JD_AGM saying that QA1s are loose and floaty. I've ran QA1 coilovers on my TA for 8 years (14k miles) and the ride is tight and very stable feeling. To me that is the beauty of the adjustable shocks, I can make it ride as soft or stiff that I want.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
I disagree with JD_AGM saying that QA1s are loose and floaty. I've ran QA1 coilovers on my TA for 8 years (14k miles) and the ride is tight and very stable feeling. To me that is the beauty of the adjustable shocks, I can make it ride as soft or stiff that I want.
*compared to a sport shock.
Even on the higher settings the shock then just becomes stiffer while still giving the disconnected, loose feeling (because of how they adjust, and the fact they are not gas charged).
If you think your QA1s are stable, you may **** your pants if you ride in an fbody with konis...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ml#post8344345
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-vs-koni.html

Quick Reply: qa1 coil overs