Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How critical is precision while flycutting?

Old 04-21-2004, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How critical is precision while flycutting?

Say if you were going to flycut your intakes .080 and your exhaust .050, what would be an exceptable range or error be before you started to run into problems with compression ratio? Also, if they were off enough... could you possibly throw the "balance" of your rotating assy off? For example, say that one intake was cut .070 and another was .090. It seems like it would be almost impossible to make them all exactly the same
Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would measure the depth, to make sure they are all about the same
Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by badls1
i would measure the depth, to make sure they are all about the same
That does not seem to be an easy task. I am in the middle of cutting and am having the same problems/questions as Gomer, including what does "about the same" mean?

What I am doing is setting the collar 0.090 above the guide (with no seals) with feeler guages and then cutting until 0.010 no longer fits between the collar and the guide. I find it is a waste of time to try to "spark it out" when cutting. You can't use a depth mike to measure the depth since the notch is not flat. You can't use most verniers because the probe has a square end. I have been laying 0.080 worth of feeler guages in the notch and trying to sense the match between them and the deck of the piston with a finger nail. So far it takes two or three tries to get close, but I can only guess at what "close" is. I think you can feel a couple thou difference with a nail, but don't really know.

I think you can use geometry to figure the volume of the slice, but I haven't tried yet. I don't think that +/- 0.005 will hurt balance or compression, but can't prove it yet.

BTW, PP LQ9 heads going on ...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by critter
That does not seem to be an easy task. I am in the middle of cutting and am having the same problems/questions as Gomer, including what does "about the same" mean?

What I am doing is setting the collar 0.090 above the guide (with no seals) with feeler guages and then cutting until 0.010 no longer fits between the collar and the guide. I find it is a waste of time to try to "spark it out" when cutting. You can't use a depth mike to measure the depth since the notch is not flat. You can't use most verniers because the probe has a square end. I have been laying 0.080 worth of feeler guages in the notch and trying to sense the match between them and the deck of the piston with a finger nail. So far it takes two or three tries to get close, but I can only guess at what "close" is. I think you can feel a couple thou difference with a nail, but don't really know.

I think you can use geometry to figure the volume of the slice, but I haven't tried yet. I don't think that +/- 0.005 will hurt balance or compression, but can't prove it yet.

BTW, PP LQ9 heads going on ...
I used a set of digital calipers and several other methods and finally gave up. I guess I took that head and fly cutting tool on and off the car over 100 times this past weekend. I think my deepest cut was a little over .095 and my "shallowest" was around .080. I guess if the damn thing slings apart, I'll build a replacement using pistons with real valve reliefs in them. I WILL NEVER FLYCUT ANOTHER PISTON AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE
Old 04-21-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gomer
I used a set of digital calipers and several other methods and finally gave up. I guess I took that head and fly cutting tool on and off the car over 100 times this past weekend. I think my deepest cut was a little over .095 and my "shallowest" was around .080.
I'm not up to 100 yet, but it is sure a PITA to do.
I guess if the damn thing slings apart, I'll build a replacement using pistons with real valve reliefs in them. I WILL NEVER FLYCUT ANOTHER PISTON AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE
Interesting I have felt that thought trying to sneak into my head but having spent the money for the cutters, I quick force it out
Old 04-21-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I would guess that the degree of variance could be determined by measuring the length of the cut instead of trying to measure the depth.

Good luck!

Dale
Old 04-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Teching In

grind the tip of the calipers down so that it isnt so thick, then you can get a pretty accurate reading by measuring the back of the valve relief. If you want to know how much your cutting each time, throw them feeler gauges down ,and put a dial indicator with a mag base on top of the retainer , and measure it each time. I would figure 0.010 is acceptable for what your trying to do, its not like you got a piston vise, and a mill, etc.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaleMX
I would guess that the degree of variance could be determined by measuring the length of the cut instead of trying to measure the depth.

Good luck!

Dale
I had the same thought driving home last night. 18 degrees means the depth is 0.325 times the length. You could use the width since it is the chord of the arc if it is easier to measure that.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by raymond
grind the tip of the calipers down so that it isnt so thick
I thought about it but chickened out

Search this Thread