Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage, or rollbar??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cage, or rollbar??

Not sure if Im in the right fourm, but I going to need a saftey hop or something soon. I dont want to put anything in the car at all, but I need to know whats the least I can get away with for testing at the track? Not going to be there alot so if I canget away with a 9sec slip and never go back that will work. Something thats not so ugly! Can I just do a roll bar?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No track tech inspector in his/her right mind is gonna let you pull off a 9 sec run with no cage. And honestly why would you want to run that fast without one? I understand you don't want one in the car, but if you really don't then don't go to the track. The type of cage you need is dictated by the speed the car runs. You'd need a 8 point cage at a minimum...good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a nice sign at a speed shop that somehow fits:

"If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."

Don't be cheap where safety counts. You may only hit the track once, but I bet you'll do a little playing on the street. It only takes once for the cage to prove its worth, and that "once" doesn't have to involve an error or misjudgement on your part. I've been involved in two accidents where another person simply pulled out into traffic without looking or blew a stop light. The car in my sig is a high 12 second car, and I'm getting a full NASA-spec bolt in cage for it.

Last edited by 1981TA; 03-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have to ask this question, them it is most likely you have not gone 9 sec before. If you have, you would know why you need one. Just watch some video or shows of 9 sec car bouncing off the wall and getting loose (or even a 10 sec car). Going 9 sec and 150mph is nothing to cheap out on with Safety.

just an opinon...
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Really depends on the track. At some local tracks I've seen 8 second pass with nothing more than a helmet. Do I agree with it? Not at all but it happens. I have my car down now for a cage so I'm legal next time out.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. I thank y'all for the straight talk. They have a bolt in one for a 2gen f-body? Think my kids will want me being safe. Just want it not to be intrusive.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. we understand.. but as 1981ta said.. its that $10 effect thing ! .. I would not feel good about telling anyone that is would be ok..

Since most of my run are at Sonoma.. they tend to be pertty tight on safety.. but I would put one in anyway if going that fast..

Good Luck.. and listen to the kids.. LOL..

Bc
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Should you ? No.

Could you ? yes....with an *** chewing from the track guys.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

One thing no ones mentioned, but should be thought about.a cage can also kill you in a side impact on the street if your head hits one of the tubes hard enough.its unfortunately happened to people,theres more to it than just having a cage ie proper seat,harness,helmut and so fourth
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, I would go with a full cage - here's why... once you make a 9 sec pass, you will not be able to "never go back"... stuffs like crack! That said, it is best to go with a full cage right off instead of a bar first and then have to add the rest to make it a cage - with a full cage, you use different diameter tubing than with a bar only - therefore, a full cage done from the beginning will be lighter than a bar with a cage add-on... If you find a good place to do it and go with swing out (take out) door bars, you will hardly know it is there.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There's much more to being "legal" to run 9s or 135mph+ than an 8pt roll cage. Not the least of which is an NHRA license. If OP truly wants to (and can) go to the track once, pick up a 9 second slip and never go back, I wouldn't do anything. Unless you (and your passengers) plan to use a helmet & 5pt harness on the street all the time adding a roll bar/cage in a street car has the potential to cause more injury than it can prevent. Especially in a case of one pass vs. countless miles on the street.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stangtrader
One thing no ones mentioned, but should be thought about.a cage can also kill you in a side impact on the street if your head hits one of the tubes hard enough.its unfortunately happened to people,theres more to it than just having a cage ie proper seat,harness,helmut and so fourth
This.^^^^^ It can work against you, unfortunately.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Heres a thread from yb that has a lot of good info as well as some sad related info.all i can say is its up to you to make the best informed decision you can.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=495063&page=6
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot for all the info!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 AM
Teching In

so I went through this thread and read all the comments I was thinking of doing a cage in my 99 z28 t-top car heres the thing its just a mild built street car I saw that if u put a cage in u could be more of a threat then not having one how is this so????

thanks Tom
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Tom, refer to post #9.....Pretty much answers your ?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Z28 tom,there is some very good info in the thread I linked from the bullet.bassicly besides what I mentioned above,but also cars have crumple zones built in to protect the ocupants.example few years ago a good friend made a poor decision and let a inexperianced person drive his fbody and he rolled it at around 110 mph.all occupants walked away with minor cuts and bruises.i can almost say for certian if the car had a cage one out of four people would have suffered severe head trauma that were in the car
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stangtrader
Z28 tom,there is some very good info in the thread I linked from the bullet.bassicly besides what I mentioned above,but also cars have crumple zones built in to protect the ocupants.example few years ago a good friend made a poor decision and let a inexperianced person drive his fbody and he rolled it at around 110 mph.all occupants walked away with minor cuts and bruises.i can almost say for certian if the car had a cage one out of four people would have suffered severe head trauma that were in the car
so basically your saying it being a street car I shouldn't put a cage in it?

I would like to take it to the track on the weekends
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_Tom
so basically your saying it being a street car I shouldn't put a cage in it?

I would like to take it to the track on the weekends
Helmets + padding + 5 point harnesses mitigate the increased danger of head trauma presented by the cage. A higher roof line (or shorter driver) helps as well, because of the increased distance between your melon and the halo bar. But seriously, on the street, how often are you going to...

A. Predict you're going to drive 110
B. Put a helmet on
C. force your passengers to put on a helmet.
D. Snug your belts down tight.
E. Ensure other drivers won't be idiots or animals won't run in front of the car?

Most people won't use them on the street. They'd look like dorks AND attract way too much attention from cops.

So, a cage on the street? It's a matter of risk acceptance. it will certainly help with side/front/back impacts, due to reduced cabin intrusion. I saw a car squashed under a semi yesterday on I-65. That guy could have benefited from a cage. But for a roll over, or where you're going to bounce around a bit inside the car, dunno.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Helmets + padding + 5 point harnesses mitigate the increased danger of head trauma presented by the cage. A higher roof line (or shorter driver) helps as well, because of the increased distance between your melon and the halo bar. But seriously, on the street, how often are you going to...

A. Predict you're going to drive 110
B. Put a helmet on
C. force your passengers to put on a helmet.
D. Snug your belts down tight.
E. Ensure other drivers won't be idiots or animals won't run in front of the car?

Most people won't use them on the street. They'd look like dorks AND attract way too much attention from cops.

So, a cage on the street? It's a matter of risk acceptance. it will certainly help with side/front/back impacts, due to reduced cabin intrusion. I saw a car squashed under a semi yesterday on I-65. That guy could have benefited from a cage. But for a roll over, or where you're going to bounce around a bit inside the car, dunno.
thanks for the reply this answers my question no cage not looking for more attention then is already there electric cutout open all the time don't need more attention lol I do think I will get SFCS tho

Quick Reply: Cage, or rollbar??