LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about selling '97 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about selling '97 Formula

Well i'm thinking about selling my 1997 formula, its a problem child and i don't have the funds to keep up with it. i'm 17 and work at Mcdonald's and now after the new opti, waterpump and new plug wire. i'm getting uncontrollable white smoke that didn't fade at all for the 10 minutes i ran it. the car was sitting for 3 weeks while i found the time to fix it. i love this thing to death and would love to keep it and get something else but i couldn't stand to look at a broken car all day, when i can see someone fix it and drive it. the car isn't perfect a small oil leak. and small trans leak. but, the A/c works and everything inside works. other than the possible head gaskets everything works. i would really like to get at least $3,500 for the car as is what do y'all think i could get for it? i'm in Jacksonville, FL and the car only has 109,995 and i have had it for a year and only put 8k on it (i did WOT maybe once a month) and the 70 year old lady didnt do much to it either. maybe one day i'll find a LS trans am but for now i need something that runs good....
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I say park it and wait it out. Buy a cheap beater car. I say that because I really doubt you'll get anywhere close to $3500 for it. It's a 16 year old car with 100,000+ miles...with a blown head gasket. Find out for sure if you have a blown gasket. Do a leak down test, compression test, pressurize the cooling system to pin point the problem. The actual parts (gasket kit) isn't that much. It's the labor to get down to them. It really isn't a hard job just time consuming. If you have any decent amount of mechanical ability you could probably pull it off. Do you really want to let your car go over a few hundred dollars in parts.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all up tp you. Can you replace the head gasket youself? If yes, I'd let it sit til you got the time to fix it. If you have to pay some one, how long will it take you to save up the funds for?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a pressure test on it to see if it is a head gasket.. if it is drain coolant from the motor and drain the oil and let it sit until you can work on it.

It would be to your advantage to pick up a small truck to drive everyday and haul your parts to and from the machine shop.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toomany
I say park it and wait it out. Buy a cheap beater car. I say that because I really doubt you'll get anywhere close to $3500 for it. It's a 16 year old car with 100,000+ miles...with a blown head gasket. Find out for sure if you have a blown gasket. Do a leak down test, compression test, pressurize the cooling system to pin point the problem. The actual parts (gasket kit) isn't that much. It's the labor to get down to them. It really isn't a hard job just time consuming. If you have any decent amount of mechanical ability you could probably pull it off. Do you really want to let your car go over a few hundred dollars in parts.
Very true the parts aren't that expensive. I may be able to do it. The only thing is breaking exhaust bolts off... but this is my first car and I hate to see it go. You've def. Given me a new outlook. Btw I'm driving my brothers sunfire... he gets his licsense in october so i. Can use till then
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

true story, keep the car and set it aside for head gaskets, i know it sucks and you just wanna drive the thing or get something more reliable but truth is its at them miles.... things are going to start needing replacement thats just how it goes on cars they get old things dont work like the should. Head gaskets are very capable to do it yourself id wait it out...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Form350
Very true the parts aren't that expensive. I may be able to do it. The only thing is breaking exhaust bolts off... but this is my first car and I hate to see it go. You've def. Given me a new outlook. Btw I'm driving my brothers sunfire... he gets his licsense in october so i. Can use till then
There ya go. That should be plenty of time to save up for some Gaskets, headbolts, and other misc. things that might pop up while doing the job.

Just keep it around, I guarantee you'll regret selling it.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

I wouldn't sell it, wouldn't make much on it. If you can do the work yourself then you can afford to keep it.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I could see you only making $1000 or less if you try to sell it with a blown head gasket.

Hell, I found a Z28 that ran perfectly when I swapped in my starter listed for $900... I didn't buy it because the paint was peeling on every panel and it was filled with dents.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Launching!

In my area (eastern Virginia) I've seen them sit with blown head gaskets at 1500 dollars and not get sold for over a month. Not worth selling in my mind. What's blue book on it? 4000? You can't get 3 for it I guarantee it
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're in Florida (yes?), and if the car is an original Florida car, it shouldn't have any rust damage, so you have a good shell to work with. Where I'm at, the snow belt, a lot of the 90s F-bods that were driven year round, were eaten up by the road salt years ago.

My point is the car is most likely paid for and in decent shape, so putting some more money into it is probably a safe bet. If you're on a tight budget, and sell it at a loss, that's less money you'll have to buy another car with.

I understand it tough to be on a limited budget, and also have a car with high mileage, but these days 100K on the clock isn't that big a deal, especially if the rest of the car is solid. There's no doubt that you'll have to replace wear out items, but usually, you can do that in "little bites"...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

if you got till october save up some money and put some longtubes on it when you do the head gaskets, then once you drive the car again itll be like a whole new beast to you, youll love it all over again
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, the car still smokes and now a has was I think is a rod knock. I'll take it in but, I'm sure its done I don't wanna r&r cause idk how long the trans has left in it. One day I'll get another f body but for now its done
Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, trust me. It's your first car and your first F-Body. Keep it. I miss my first car (died when someone tried to beat a light and totaled it after having it 5 and a half years) and my first F-Body (traded it for an 86 Mk3 Supra) and wish I still had both almost every day. Park it, get a cheap beater, save money, fix 'er up, learn how to work on it. My 95 Formula is my only car right now (luckily work is walking distance) and I've learned how to do so much in the year I've had it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Dude, you're in Florida. You can get a cheap 2wd 'Yota for about 10 cents. 4cyl, 5speed, and reliable as hell. Since you have no rust down there, get an old '80s model and you're set. Then, park the Formula and start looking for parts. It'll be a good learning experience.

As for the trans, rebuild it while you are doing the engine. It isn't that bad to do. We've torn them apart for trackside rebuilds a time or 2 back when I was serious into drag racing.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Teching In

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/3694788551.html

That one is even a 4x4. I'd love to find a clean little 4x4 as a daily, but it isn't happening here, and I don't have the vacation time to go elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Keep it for now you wont get anything for it broken. You have until october to get the money to get it running. And how is it you have a rod knock and its smoking?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog214
Keep it for now you wont get anything for it broken. You have until october to get the money to get it running. And how is it you have a rod knock and its smoking?
Maybe the leaking head gasket is sucking a small amount of coolant into one of the cylinders and creating a little bit of a "hydraulicing" condition?? Yeah, I know it's a wild assed theory, but why not??

Or maybe coolant is getting into the oil, and diluting it, which is starting to take out bearings...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Id be looking at the rod bearings being the more likely culprit.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

not to mention you can buy running lt1s a dime a dozen.... or just eff it and go for a 5.3 swap

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling '97 Formula