Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock SS Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock SS Suspension

Hey guys I just bought a stock SS. I'm a newbie at this. Car is terrible in the corners and has a lot of wheel hop. I know I didn't buy a BMW but, I was hoping to improve the handling. It is my daily driver so I don't want the suspension to be too stiff. This is what I'm thinking of getting. Any input.. much appreciated...

Koni Sport Adjustables
UMI LCA's & Adjustable Panhard Bar
UMI LCA Relocation Brackets
UMI Subframe Connectors.

I like the stock ride height. Do you guys think I should change the springs at the same time.Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks like a good set-up. Don't forget a good torque arm too.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

In my opinion I would start with just shocks. That could be enough to prevent the wheel hop as it is. Try it... if you get wheel hop, you can always go to the next step.

You mentioned handling, hence why I recommend just shocks first. You are going to want them anyway, and they could improve your wheel hop as it is.

The other things have their pros and cons.

Subframe connectors.. I'm not sure exactly how much they prevent chassis flex. I have no comment on that.. but they make awesome jack points under the car. They also can't hurt aside from adding a little more weight and bumping you up a class if you autox
Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car?

I thought the same when I bought my SS. An upgrade to a high quality shock (Konis would be a GREAT choice) will make a noticeable difference. The LCAs will also help with the wheel hop.

You'll hear mixed reviews on the SFC's, however I thought mine were definitely a worthwhile mod....one of the first I made to the car.

Outside of that, are you most interested in it feeling better in the corners or setting it up for the quarter mile? Sway bars would be a good "next on the list" mod....I don't have first hand experience with them on my SS, however I've decided that when I do pull the trigger that I would go with the Strano hollow bar combo (for a myriad of reasons).
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Teching In

The car has 55xxx km. From what I know the car was sitting in the garage for most of its life on jack stands. Could be the reason why the suspension is shot at such a low mileage. I usually take my car to track 2 or 3 times a year..so i'm really looking to improve the handling for dd.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno, if on jack stands the suspension wouldn't be loaded, so that shouldn't have affected it. On the other hand I have no clue what I'm talking about. I do know that I feel the same way about my WS6, and it already has new-ish Bilstein hd shocks. I was expecting too much I think.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

I was in your boat back in October 2011. Bought the car and it was alright, but no where near my TA when I sold it.

First thing I did was get a set of Bilsteins from Sam Strano. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and end links (F-32mm R-19mm).

A few months later, a local guy was selling a set of Strano springs. He was re-working his car to be a 1/4 mile car instead of an 'all around' car. Threw the springs on the car and had the alignment performed by a local shop.

Two weekends ago, my buddy from Tx, who I helped get their 2002 WS6 to corner, sent me a set of sub frame connectors as a thank you gift for the advice (they had a 3 series bmw with the m3 package and are stoked how well the ws6 corners).

I have yet to put the sub frames on the car, but as you can see my sig, I added a STB and rod ended PHB.

The car turns like it's on rails and rides well enough for my wife with her back issues. If I wanted, I could easily daily drive this setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get some konis, strano springs, and strano swaybars and your car will handle really good and still be comfortable for a daily driver.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If its a DD, just new shocks should solve your problem. What color are the shocks currently on the car? Are they orange?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Lower it and shocks

Quick Reply: Stock SS Suspension