Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

XRF tie rods vs. Moog

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRF tie rods vs. Moog

I was going to order Moog inner and outer tie rods until a friend warned me about hearing of Chinese fakes labelled as Moog parts, and how different looking Moogs are appearing in sets from reliable sellers - that would freak me out if I ordered 2 and they looked different; parts and boxes! I'd leave old bone stock before installing a bootleg fake.

Anyway, I hear good things about XRF. any thoughts before I place this order. I'm wanting inner and outer tie rods, not concerned about price but mainly quality. thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a reliable, local parts house like Advance, NAPA, O'Reilly, etc, and purchase Moog parts...nothing but Moog. You get what you pay for, and the large, "brick and mortar" parts houses won't risk their reputations on "re-packaged" crap. If that's what you want, however, they also sell the 2nd rate parts, but at least they'll tell you up front that's what you're buying.

I will say, however, and it kills me to do it, but even Moog has moved some of their operations "off shore". But their parts are still manufactured to a higher standard.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I went to 3 parts stores around my house and none had Moog in stock, all can order. I'm just going to take a chance and order myself from one of the more reputable internet parts houses I can find. Someone said to write a comment on order: SEND MATCHING PARTS
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got mine from Rock Auto. They look OK to me and I doubt they'd screw up their reputation selling fake stuff.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I just got mine from Rock Auto. They look OK to me and I doubt they'd screw up their reputation selling fake stuff.
Agreed. I bought a transmission shift solenoid for my DD dodge stratus. 113 shipped to my door and it was a mopar part.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I agree!

I've purchased a number of parts from Rock Auto with no question of the quality of what they sell. If you notice, they usually give you a clear choice of the "good" parts vs. the "cheap stuff"....
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

The main place I would watch out for that would be ebay

The only time I could see it happening locally is someone may buy the $5 RockAuto set, pick up the Moogs and swap them out and return them. I've opened boxes to find used/broken parts so I'm sure they can be fooled at a quick glance.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

I bought my Moog parts off Amazon a few months back.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
The main place I would watch out for that would be ebay

The only time I could see it happening locally is someone may buy the $5 RockAuto set, pick up the Moogs and swap them out and return them. I've opened boxes to find used/broken parts so I'm sure they can be fooled at a quick glance.
Agreed. Bargains are nice to find, but when it comes to suspension pieces, you don't want to take chances.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea if fake Racetronix fuel pumps are being sold on Ebay, I know fake Moogs are too because the pricing is too low.

I don't have a problem buying stuff like a torque bar, panhead bar, stuff like that on Ebay. It saves me shipping and taxes. but those smaller and easily copied parts where they can fit thousands in a shipping container from china...worries me on Ebay
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Moog has "Problem Solver" stamped om them.

I work at a parts store and have gotten to know several Federal Mogul (who owns Moog) reps, and Moog is really second to none.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my Moog stuff from Rock Auto as well, they have great prices on them.

Quick Reply: XRF tie rods vs. Moog