Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Metal Grinding/Scraping noise at cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Grinding/Scraping noise at cold startup

This ONLY happens during a really cold startup and after the car has been sitting for a little while. Although, if I rev the car up to around 2.5-3k's the sound stops almost immediately. Otherwise, It'll take around 3-4min for the sound to go away... It's very annoying, and very loud...
The sound is non-existent in warmer weather, from around 55 degrees and up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've posted on a few other forums, and I've had some people thought it's a starter? I don't believe that would be the starter though. Hadn't had time to check though. Any other possibilities?! I'm stumped. As I mentioned in the title, it's a very loud metal grinding/scraping sound...

By the way, the car is an '00 WS6 Formula M6.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

possible to put up a video of it?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I'll try to post a video &/or sound clip tomorrow if I can get my hands on a camcorder or anything of the sort. It's just really odd, and doesn't seem to be like similar problems people had... I'm just so stumped, and it's frustrating.

Oh, and we can also factor out the cats. I replaced both cats along with a catback exhaust within the past couple months.
I was thinking a heat shield? But the fact that after the 2.5-3k revs it goes away just doesn't make sense.
Worst case scenario, could it even be the timing chain? And I don't believe it's related to the trans, or at least I hope not.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bearings in one of the accessory pulleys going bad?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Have you checked the ac clutch assembly? And does it sound like a pinging scraping noise?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DWake
That's honestly what I was thinking... But would it make a grinding/scraping noise? I replaced the belt thinking it was worn down belt scraping something, but that didn't resolve the issue. I moved the tesioner pulley around, and it had no drag whatsoever. Didn't hear any scraping when I was moving the other belts. And again, ONLY happens in the cold for a few minutes.. until I rev the car up; which than stops it immediately. That's what confuses me so much. I'll try to get a video up. I got my hands on my brother's go pro and I'm trying to figure out how to get it working so I can record it.

And @BigMac76
It's a distinct scraping/grinding noise with no pinging noise that I'm aware of.

Last edited by HellzAssassin; 03-25-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DWake
Sounds like this could very well be it. Easiest way to tell, start it up and use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and place it on the various accessories, ps pump, alternator, water pump, etc. and that should help you pinpoint where it's coming from.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigMac76
Sounds like this could very well be it. Easiest way to tell, start it up and use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and place it on the various accessories, ps pump, alternator, water pump, etc. and that should help you pinpoint where it's coming from.
That was my initial thought... but the fact that it stops after the car revs to 2.5-3k's is really... interesting. And I do have a mechanics stethoscope, so I guess I'll do that tomorrow morning.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Ah_...ature=youtu.be
Please watch until the end; from which you'll see the grinding stops as soon as I rev it...
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

I hate to bring back an old thread but my new to me 2000 Z28 is doing this same thing. I was wondering if you ever figured it out. Also, a couple times when I went to start my car in the early mornings. Id turn my ignition on turn over the car and let go of the key (key in acc position) and the car would continue to start as if the starter is sticking. Could this be whats making the grinding metal noise for a few minutes and when its cold only?

Quick Reply: Metal Grinding/Scraping noise at cold startup