Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hedman Husler Mid-length A body Headers - Installed (UPDATED w/VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hedman Husler Mid-length A body Headers - Installed (UPDATED w/VIDEO)

Just got done swapping in Hedman Husler midlength headers in my 1967 Tempest and wanted to share my experience with everyone who might be considering these. First, they look Awesome!!! I was running open stock F body headers before putting these in and the sound is way different (BETTER!!) and I can tell a difference in power with them.

As for the install, I ran into a couple issues. First I had already trimmed the "ear" off my TH400 on the passenger side when I put my F-body headers on. I had to do the same for the drivers side in order for these to clear.

On the passenger side I had to give a few love taps with to the collector where it passed by the frame rail for clearance. It was rubbing up against the frame, but after flattening out that spot they went right in no problem. I installed these from the top without issue.

The driver's side wouldn't go in because of the brake distribution block mounted the the inside of the frame rail. I removed the bracket holding it on the frame and had enough slack (barely) to move it above the frame where it currently sits. After that they literally bolted right in. Although the bolt closest to the firewall is a BITCH!!!!

And yes I now my wiring looks like **** I need to clean it up!!! But she runs like a ******* champ right now. Later I'll post video of the idle and a nice fat smokey burnout too!!!!

ADDED VIDEO OF IT RUNNING OPEN:

Last edited by Chiropaul; 05-17-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats good news. I will be installing the Hedman Hustler long tubes in my 65 Skylark. My fingers are crossed about them fitting without problems. Should know in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Thats good news. I will be installing the Hedman Hustler long tubes in my 65 Skylark. My fingers are crossed about them fitting without problems. Should know in a couple of weeks.
What adapter plates and tranny are you running??
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have these on my 69 Skylark convertible that I am currently building. I have a good inch plus frame clearance on the left and right side, I did however have to grind off some "ears" on my 4L80 for clearance. I got them from BRP along with their engine mount/tranny cross member install kit.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbrodine
I also have these on my 69 Skylark convertible that I am currently building. I have a good inch plus frame clearance on the left and right side, I did however have to grind off some "ears" on my 4L80 for clearance. I got them from BRP along with their engine mount/tranny cross member install kit.
I got mine from summit racing after they price matched this place (http://www.race-mart.com/Husler_Hedders-HSL-45180.html). I ended up paying $295 for them. Great deal.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chiropaul
I got mine from summit racing after they price matched this place (http://www.race-mart.com/Husler_Hedders-HSL-45180.html). I ended up paying $295 for them. Great deal.
that's a great price...but are they ceramic coated? Mine are coated and were $500 from BRP.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbrodine
that's a great price...but are they ceramic coated? Mine are coated and were $500 from BRP.
Nope. Prob should have got them coated. Poo.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What adapter plates and tranny are you running??
I will be using the Dirty Dingo plates and I will be installing the 6L80 transmission. I plan on raising the transmission tunnel an inch to an inch and a half.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I will be using the Dirty Dingo plates and I will be installing the 6L80 transmission. I plan on raising the transmission tunnel an inch to an inch and a half.
Definitely jealous of the 6 speed auto. The 3 speed I'm running is gonna get old quick
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

Definitely jealous of the 6 speed auto. The 3 speed I'm running is gonna get old quick
Nows a good time to throw in a 4L60/4L80 as any! Or even a 6 seed if you got the coin.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the same on my 65.. fit perfect, however, I built my own mounts and put the engine where I wanted it...LS2-turbo400-gearvenders....
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Here is a video of me running these open after coming from a car show.

Quick Reply: Hedman Husler Mid-length A body Headers - Installed (UPDATED w/VIDEO)