Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

possible procharger leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible procharger leak?

So I found some oil collected on the bottom of my D1SC. I'm not sure where it is coming from. I have a small air/oil seperator in line with my pcv system. It had only a very little oil in it. It mostly had water collected in the bottom of it. So it wouldnt seem like the oil is coming from the PCV system. I then began un screwing the oil fill on the procharger and as I was loosening the screw, air began seeping out. So I continued to loosen the screw and pressure continued to release. Is this normal for the procharger to be pressurized? Now that I have wiped off the bottom of the procharger I havent found the source of a leak. This procharger is brand new, I have about 300 miles on it. The motor is freshly rebuilt with a procharger in mind and has the same mileage. Any ideas? At first I thought maybe the drain just isnt tight enough, but Iwouldnt think tha tnow that I know it was holding that pressure. There was also a small amount of oil in one of the coupling's after the procharger.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems as though they all seep a little bit. I'll get a tiny drop collect on the bottom of mine over the course of 2-3 weeks. Wipe it off, and it'll come back slowly over time.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume that if the oil seemed pressurized when it came out that the seal was still good.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me with less than 1000 miles. I sent it back to get resealed. Do it while it's still under warranty. I only paid to send it to them in KS.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The head units to get pressurized, and a little oil will seep out of the fill plug/dipstick. The oil is so thin it often does not leave a trace until it drops off the bottom of the blower. I've had customer's swear the oil was coming from somewhere other than the fill, and that is where it ends up coming from. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Ok so if it is coming out of the fill there is nothing to do? I should expect to see some oil under normal circumstances? Is it going to blow some of it into the plumbing as well?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
Ok so if it is coming out of the fill there is nothing to do? I should expect to see some oil under normal circumstances? Is it going to blow some of it into the plumbing as well?
You can replace the white seal under the plug, a new one is on the box of the the extra case of oil. This might seal it up. It shouldn't blow into the plumbing. Bob

Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

I'll check the seal. so if oil is in the plumbing it would only come from the pcv? how long should it take for the rings to seat on my freshly rebuilt motor? could this temporarily allow some additional blow by?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
I'll check the seal. so if oil is in the plumbing it would only come from the pcv? how long should it take for the rings to seat on my freshly rebuilt motor? could this temporarily allow some additional blow by?
Yes, the oil should only be coming from the pcv. Rings on a well built engine should seat almost immediately. At the old shop we use to build engines and install them in the customers cars, fire them up and check all fluids,etc. We would then get them on the dyno and do all the part throttle tuning. We would then change the engine oil. After that we did the wide open throttle tuning. When the vehicles came off the dyno the engines were pretty well broken in. You might have a problem if your engine isn't properly ventilated. How do you have the pcv hooked up? Bob

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I have the rear two ports on each side running through a small catch can and then into the procharger inlet filter. ok?

Quick Reply: possible procharger leak?