LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Convert 95 LT1 to ODBII for Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert 95 LT1 to ODBII for Jeep

Hi, I am looking for some advice on performing this conversion. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with a 4.0L inline six that is starting to show its age and never had a lot of power to begin with. It has a 5" Rubicon Express super-flex lift, 33" tires, a new Jeep NV3550 transmission with a custom double-sided kevlar racing clutch, a custom transfer-case with a slip yoke eliminatorm, a custom rear driveshaft and a D44 rear-end. I also have a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon with 115k miles on it and a very rusty body. I would like to convert the Jeep using the engine from the Caprice. I have found all of the mechanical adapters and kits needed for the conversion but have only found the electronic adapters for an ODBII engine. The electronic adapters will allow me to wire up the factory Jeep gauges by running an ODBII Chevrolet Engine Computer in tandem with the factory Jeep engine Computer. With a little tweaking, I should be able to get all of the factory gauges running and possibly even pass the required emissions test using the ODBII connector. I believe that I would need to add a Crank Position Sensor in order to allow the Jeep Tach to work. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The crank position sensor has nothing to do with the tach. It is only used for OBDII mis-fire monitoring. The F body & '96 B body racha are driven by the PCM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Novak Adapters

This is the Tach emulator that I was looking to use. It says that it uses the pulses created by the Crank Position Sensor to emulate a Tach connecting it to the Jeep TJ's PCM. If there are any better options than this adapter, I'm open to any other ideas. I am still in the planning phase of this project and have not seen many newer Jeeps out there with any engine conversions yet.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/e...h_emulator.htm
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1's are gen II's not III's you could still use the LT1 by doing an ls1 ignition and PCM conversion to the lt1 but at that point may be easier to just do LSX.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

As long as I'm breezing through the link you gave correctly it looks like that thing is made for LS1 controllers not LT1's. Correct me if I'm wrong you have probably done more research then me but an OBD 2 PCM on an LT1 uses only a 4x wheel
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

just get an OBD2 pcm and timing cover for the motor you have, the cps wiring could probably be added to the existing harness. It is all so similar that many of us switched to OBD1 pcm from OBD2 before OBD2 tuning was well supported, the pcms have the same harness connections.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The factory harness is going to have to be modified for stand alone, so you can add the CPS in when you modify it or have it modified for standalone.(which we offer). If you decide to go new harness just have it built for an OBD II engine. (We also offer).

You can do a stand alone 24x system too, that will add cost to the build.

After the harness is lined out all you need is an OBD II PCM and the front timing cover, CPS, Reluctor wheel, and newer crank hub.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM

I would like to have the harness modified to accommodate the CPS.

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm new to the world of GM V8's and performance in general.

What is a stand alone 24x system?

With the ODB II PCM, is there a particular year or range that I should look for?

Are there any other performance or reliability modifications that I should look into while doing this swap?

Thanks Again,

Ray
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand your need for a crank position sensor. Plug a '96 or '97 LT1 PCM in, and get somebody with a clue to flash it for you. It can be made to show the misfire test run and flags set to Pass without the sensor actually on the engine. The LT1 PCM will run the tach, and again somebody with a clue can set the tach signal pulses to correct the tach.
If the smog station simply uses a Generic OBDII scan tool it should work just fine. Anybody with a clue can also put your Jeep vin in the LT1 PCM for OBDII smog tests. I do it all the time.
There is no need at all for the 24X conversion.

Quick Reply: Convert 95 LT1 to ODBII for Jeep