Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/Charging System Wiring- LQ4 in 69 Camaro

Here's what I have:

-69 Camaro with AAW Classic Update harness
-2003 LQ4 with stock alternator
-PSI Conversions harness

The PSI harness has the stock 4-wire connector that plugs into the alternator, and two power leads that go to the starter Batt terminal. Do I need to make any other connections to the alternator to power the main harness, or will the leads on the conversion harness charge the battery from the starter Batt terminal? Does anything get connected to the stud on the back of the alternator?

The AAW harness has a brown wire in the lighting harness that says its only needed on an internally regulated alternator that uses an exciter wire, and it can be removed if you're using a "true one wire alternator". Is this wire needed for anything?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobKovacs
Here's what I have:

-69 Camaro with AAW Classic Update harness
-2003 LQ4 with stock alternator
-PSI Conversions harness

The PSI harness has the stock 4-wire connector that plugs into the alternator, and two power leads that go to the starter Batt terminal. Do I need to make any other connections to the alternator to power the main harness, or will the leads on the conversion harness charge the battery from the starter Batt terminal? Does anything get connected to the stud on the back of the alternator?

The AAW harness has a brown wire in the lighting harness that says its only needed on an internally regulated alternator that uses an exciter wire, and it can be removed if you're using a "true one wire alternator". Is this wire needed for anything?

The alternator will be excited by the PCM. So you dont need to do anything with that.

You should use an alternator to battery wire so that the alternator will charge the battery.

This wire will go to the stud on the back of the alternator and the other end will go to the battery.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
The alternator will be excited by the PCM. So you dont need to do anything with that.

You should use an alternator to battery wire so that the alternator will charge the battery.

This wire will go to the stud on the back of the alternator and the other end will go to the battery.
Perfect- thanks. The AAW kit came with a heavy wire with a fusible link for between the alternator and battery, but I wasn't sure if it was needed with the LS. It'll be going in as required.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I used 2 gauge wire for my swap.

Quick Reply: Alternator/Charging System Wiring- LQ4 in 69 Camaro