Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with an electrical issue (rookie)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with an electrical issue (rookie)

i am a noobie when it comes to electrical stuff but i recently put led lights in the footwells of my 2000 Z28. i connected the led's to the dome light that way they can turn on and off when the doors are opened and closed. at first i had no problems but a few days later all of the lights began to act up. All of the lights in the car would turn on and not shut off, i figured it was something i did wrong with the wiring so i did it again and it worked for a few weeks. now it started to do it again so i disconnected the Leds but the dome light and the lights on the rear view mirror wont turn off. i have no idea what happened and the only way i can turn the lights off in the car is by pulling out the fuse. i dont think the Leds are the problem anymore since the car is keeping the lights on in the car with the Leds disconnected. when i close the door the lights turn off normally in about 10 seconds but now it takes 20-30 seconds to turn off but then they automatically turn right back on even though the doors are closed and they will stay on forever. if anyone can help me out it will be much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Does this happen on the pass side door as well or just when the drivers side door is opened and closed?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

subscribed
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigMac76
Does this happen on the pass side door as well or just when the drivers side door is opened and closed?
it happens on both sides
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like you may have put more load on a system designed for a specific electrical load. you may have burned out a resistor or capacitor somewhere in the system, or overloaded a specific wire's load handling capablilty and caused a short in the lighting system so that now you have to pull the breaker to shut it off. id get a wiring diagram and start reading out wires to find the short.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Launching!

pull out the head light switch and look at it.
smell it for being burnt out melted at some point.

...and get rid of the LED kit completely.
may need to be wired in a diff way with relay
or tossed all together.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Let me pull the wiring diagram, will post it up here for you to check wiring and leads.

Here is what I have for the interior courtesy lamps diagram. Hope this helps. If you need a larger version of it, lmk, will email it to you.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with an electrical issue (rookie)-courtesty_lights.jpg  

Last edited by BigMac76; 03-25-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added wiring diagram
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Teching In

thx for the help guys

Quick Reply: Need help with an electrical issue (rookie)