Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice for small suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice for small suspension upgrade

I'm giving my car a makeover and lowering her is on the list. I'm still not sure what springs I'm going to get but will be order some koni shocks for sure. I've been reading some and found out that a panhard bar is a good idea when lowering a car. Is this part necessary and if so which one should I look into buying? Is there any other suspension mod I should be looking into? I'm not looking to do too many suspension mods. I'm just looking to do the basics to help the ride of the car being that its my DD. Any input is appreciated thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eibach prokit springs drop it a good bit but they are a stiff and proformance ride i like them. it you want it real low you can get eibach sportline kit but you will most likely have big trouble with speed bumps and hit the front end on a alot of things, prokit also will hit steep driveways but makes speed bumps and dips better off.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

i have pics of my 98 z28 with both sets installed on kyb shocks i can upload on here for you later this week
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

I really like the stance the pro kit gives our cars but people seem to really hate them and usually go with strano or bmr. I'm currently debating between a pro kit, strano, or bmr spring to go with some koni's
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Don't think the sportline's are an option for me because I want some clearance for daily driving. Some pics of the pro kit would be awesone if you can do me the favor. What size wheel/tire combo are you running? I have some 18's with a 295 width in the back and I've read that they rub
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Prokits have a pretty low springrate for their drop. Also they have a high risk of causing more sag than your car already provides for you. Plenty of better options out there.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't get an adjustable panhard the rear end will be off center after lowering. When you have wider tires it becomes more of a fitment issue over an aesthetic issue as the stock length panhard can cause the passenger side tire to rub on the inside or maybe even the driver side tire to catch the lip on the wheel well.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

BMR is having a sale on Konis, they come with free springs. I went with Koni/bmr setup and BMR panhard rod to relocate the rear. You will need this, it moved my rear to the right 1" by lowering it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If you don't get an adjustable panhard the rear end will be off center after lowering. When you have wider tires it becomes more of a fitment issue over an aesthetic issue as the stock length panhard can cause the passenger side tire to rub on the inside or maybe even the driver side tire to catch the lip on the wheel well.
Depends on the car. Mine actually centered the rear. When I put the adjustable phb on, I sized it up with the stocker and then only had to make a very very small adjustment on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

As much as I love the stance of eibachs I think the koni/bmr combo is the way to go especially with the sale going on. My wheels are 18s with a tire width of 295 in the rear. Do I have to really worry about rubbing?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so I did the koni/bmr setup with a bmr adjustable phb. I want to replace the bushings now and add a strut tower brace as well. Am I heading in the right direction??? Don't know if there's a certain order people usually go with
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

What's your goal? Time to talk with some folks that are doing whatever is that you want to do with the car.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Of course how could I forget. My car has to go back to stock because of smog here in CA so the headers/ory are currently being replaced with manifolds/cats. Since I can't build my car the way I want power wise, the plan is to do suspension to make the car a little quicker by putting the stock power to the ground better...
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, when you get control arm bushings I'd make sure to get the MOOG Problem Solver at least for the front lower control arm rear vertical bushing location, MOOG # K200790.

Okay, here's what I'd add:

2point (weld-in) SFC's,

Strano, swaybar set

UMI,TA relocation trans x-member

UMI or BMR, Adjustable TA
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

holy back from the dead thread...
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, when you get control arm bushings I'd make sure to get the MOOG Problem Solver at least for the front lower control arm rear vertical bushing location, MOOG # K200790.

Okay, here's what I'd add:

2point (weld-in) SFC's,

Strano, swaybar set

UMI,TA relocation trans x-member

UMI or BMR, Adjustable TA
Ok got it. Thanks for your input
Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
holy back from the dead thread...
Haha I know my cars suspension took the back seat for a bit. I had planned a cam then more suspension but my plans were changed. I figured why create another thread?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
Ok so I did the koni/bmr setup with a bmr adjustable phb. I want to replace the bushings now and add a strut tower brace as well. Am I heading in the right direction??? Don't know if there's a certain order people usually go with
I would look into some adjustable lower control arms with the relocation bracket, this helped plant the rear end when I lowered my car.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
Of course how could I forget. My car has to go back to stock because of smog here in CA so the headers/ory are currently being replaced with manifolds/cats. Since I can't build my car the way I want power wise, the plan is to do suspension to make the car a little quicker by putting the stock power to the ground better...
Nobody in San B has ever heard of a a CARB E.O. number?

Quick Reply: Advice for small suspension upgrade