Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" Tablet Install Questions/Discussion (4th Gen Fbody)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was really intrigued by this Android 7" tablet install in a C6 thread. I think this is something I'd like to tackle, but had a few concerns/questions before I set my sights on completing it.

As background, I have a 2000 SS convertible, and am running a 5 channel amp already. Also, I'm not real hip on Android, but am absolutely willing to dive into it for the benefits of a project like this. In fact, considering ditching my iPhone and getting a S3 or S4.

Here are my questions/concerns/things I'd like to discuss:

1) Charging - this isn't anything near a DD for me. It gets driven fairly regularly in the summer, gets stored all winter in MI. I like the idea of using tasker and a switched 12v power supply to turn the tablet on, but what does that mean if the vehicle sits for a few days or weeks? Tablet is off, but also not charging.

2) Heat - I primarily drive the car in the summer. I'm concerned with thermal problems if I get into my car after it's been sitting in the parking lot at work all day. Being a convertible, I'm also concerned how it'll handle the sun beating down on it. I know my iPhone 4 did a thermal shut down when I left it sitting in direct sunlight for a period of time.

3) Glare - being a convertible, this is a concern to me. I've seen those matte screen protectors. Think those would work well? I know they hurt resolution, but it's not too bad, is it?

4) Audio - thinking that as I have a 5 channel amp, I can just run a single stereo line back to the trunk. I can run an EQ to fine tune/split up to the F/R and sub channels. The EQ would feed the amp.

5) Steering Wheel Controls - this is kind of a big one to me if I am running a tablet with no physical buttons. I've located THIS adapter. Looks pretty cool as it'll map the output of the OE switches to a USB keyboard and HID remote controller format. Problem is, this is where I get lost. Any ideas on how this could be used to control media (skip, mute, volume) on the tablet?

Am I overthinking this? Could I use the adapter I listed above and just run a USB to the tablet or a dock?

Maybe another idea for the steering wheel controls? This is over my head, but maybe someone else can decipher if this is useful?

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=127417.0

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-25-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found a really good build thread that explains a ton. Just throwing this here in case someone else was scouring the internet like I was. I have a ton to learn before I dive into something like this, but I learned a lot today!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2113259
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I had a thread not too far back named "replacing headunit" or something like that. Lots of good info on this topic in there!

Quick Reply: 7" Tablet Install Questions/Discussion (4th Gen Fbody)